Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Normals display odd in Action window

babreu

Hi, Everyone:

I see something odd when I'm in an action window and move a bone. It looks like the normals flip and the character is inside out. The model is okay and it seems like it's just a problem in the display. It will return to normal if I click on the screen off of the character or sometimes space bar to refresh or sometimes just rotating around it.

Here is how it looks in the model window:

post-10782-1211587950_thumb.jpg

And here is what happens sometimes in Action:

post-10782-1211588000_thumb.jpg

Thanks for any help anybody can offer. Oh, I'm using version 13.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Hash Fellow

I have that also at times. I'm told it's a graphics card problem, but I've always wondered why the graphics card would display differently when I'm using the rotate manuipulator instead of any other manipulator.

My guess is it is related to graphics card memory getting misused after some repeated operation since rebooting temporarily makes the problem go away.

You might try closing the model window while you work on the action. Or rebooting. Or updating your dirvers if they are not already.

But otherwise you need to do your rotation move then go back to another mode to see it properly.

Have a look at your Options. You can find there at the rendering-tab, change it from "Final" to "Shaded" and have a look at the "Show Backfacing polygones"-property.

In general you can always set it to on, if you are not trying to export to any gameengines, etc.

If this only happens from some angles (point of view vis), than it has to do with the subdivisions per Patch... (you can see that by setting the subdivision per patch to 1 and rotate the view. The normal will stay at the patch-center while the polygone will be created from the CPs and if the patch is curvy, there are some angles where you can look "behind" the polygon and so you wont see anything if "show backfacing polys" is off.

*Fuchur*

• Hash Fellow
Have a look at your Options. You can find there at the rendering-tab, change it from "Final" to "Shaded" and have a look at the "Show Backfacing polygones"-property.

The problem occures independently of how "Show Backfacing polygons" is set. And it only happens when the rotate manipulator is used which, with no correlation to how "Show Backfacing polygons" is set.

It doesn't happen on every installation fo A:M. But it does happen on mine.

Hi, Everyone:

I'm sorry that it's taken me a while to respond. I was sick for a few days.

Anyway, thank you for your replies. I checked my option settings and the Quality setting in the Rendering tab was already set to "shaded." I did change the show backfacing property to on, but it still seemed to have the problem.

But what I did find is that it seems like it happens more often when I had my view render mode set to "Shaded & Wireframe," but it doesn't go completely away. And when I click off the bone, then back on, the display is normal.