sprockets Shelton's new Char: Hans It's just donuts by ItsJustMe 3D Printing Free model: USS Midnight Rodger Reynolds' 1950s Street Car Madfox's Pink Floyd Video Tinkering Gnome's Elephant
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

DarkSim Water

elliotclem1

Hi all,

Just got a problem,

I wanted to create and simulate water.

I have made the material but the water is just a material.

How do i animate it? does it do this automaticly.

I have selected animate but i dont realy now what i am doing

Please help

post-10417-1210873256_thumb.jpg

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lol did that after a bit of effort but i am yet again having some trouble on the next part:

Start by creating an new action. This action is for the "wave map" model, but we will not be animating the actual geometry, just the material. To do this we drag the material down from the model tree to the action file.

But A:M wont let me drag the meterial into the action folder

Tat part of Babbage's tut doesn't sound right.

You can only drag a material onto a model or a group within a model.

Make a model of a large flat square, like the "ground" model that appears whenever you make a new choreography. At first, just make it out of a single patch. Later you can try making it out of many smaller patches to see if it looks any better.

Drag your material onto the model name (in the PWS).

Now the material is applied to the model.

Now you can drag the *model* into a new action window and continue with the tutorial.

Foe the darksim water material once you apply it and adjust the speed it animated as it renders

here is a quick sample on which i applied the ocean material to a sphere and rendered with the default settings

simwaterocean.mov

the other is an old post from my now defunct web site showing water and ice darksim materials

watersim.mov

thanks but for the moment i would to complete this water tutorial first as it looks easer. then i will do it with darksim and ill see what i think.

please can someone help me with my last post.

When i get the hand of this i might make a video tutorial so evey one can make water

I think the material should be attached to the model and animated.

Instead of animating in the action, you can animate it in the choreography directly.

Click the 'show more than drivers' icon, and you will get the material for the model showing, so that you can change the characteristics of the material over time.

post-9673-1210939573.jpg

Thanks everyone.

I will update you with my progress when rendering completes.

I have to say over all the forums i have visited in the past i have to say that the people on here are friendly and very very welcoming.

Just a big thank to all the people on the forums that have helped me and many other people in the past

Also thank you for this great animating package.

Hi there.

I am having trouble slowing the waves done. Does anyone now how to do this?

Do i make the channels value smaller with a longer time??

Also i can't attach my file as the file size is massive does anyone now a rendering setting for fast and low size rendering.

Do i make the channels value smaller with a longer time??

That would probably be good - move the keyframes so that there is a bigger distance between them.

For rendering, render to a quicktime .mov, using Sorenson 3 compression (use the Set option in the advanced settings). Or, if that is not available to you, try mpeg.

That will make a lower size, but it won't make rendering any faster. Unless you choose a smaller rendering size, like 320x240, but that will probably be too small. For speed, just for testing, set multipass off, and all other settings that you don't need off too.

Any suggesting for what the Y and Z channel values should be?

I am following the tutorial word for word but my waves seem to be moving really quick.

Please can someone take a screen shot of a quick rendering settings to avid further delay.

Thank you

Ow and by the way how to i change the compression.

As the Sorenson 3 isn't listed on my new pc.

Can i install it?

Hi there,

Got a bit further bit stuck again. (Hopefully the last time)

(6) Now we apply the displacement "waves" we rendered earlier as a decal. Size the decal to the same size as the plane and apply. Then in the image settings, set the decal to "displacement" with a value of -7.

Firstly does this mean that I have to attach the video that I posted previously in the thread?

And also how to I set the displacement value to -7???

Yep.

Delete the original *material* from your patch. Or, if you want to be safe, make a new patch and apply your quicktime movie to the new patch as a decal. The quicktime movie should play on the patch without you having to do anything to it, but you may have to do a quick preview render to see it.

Once you apply the movie as a decal, render a few frames to make sure the movie is actually playing on the patch. (Rendering displacement maps can slow down your renders considerably, that' why you do a preview render first with the decal type set to "color")

Then, in the Decal properties, set the movie decal Type to "Displacement".

I don't have AM open at the moment, but I think "displacement value" refers to the "Intensity" property.

Just set the Intensity to something low at first, like "25". Babbage's tutorial is pretty old, a couple of things changed in AM since he wrote it, so you probably won't have to set the displacement to

"-7" like the tutorial says.