Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Screen? Mesh? Fencing Mask?

Dascurf

So... I am making a fencing mask. I need for it to be transparent in the places where the mesh has holes in it. I am making a bird's egg model and then putting a cookie cut decal over it. Is that the way to go?

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Do you really need the transparency for a fencing-mask? And if you need it, do you need the mask to be taken away?

If it is always there, you could although only use a texture which will simulate both: The mask and the face.

Another way would be to model it, if you need to go very near to the mask (lets say you want to make a camerafly above of the mask with all the wires showing up, etc.

If you need it for a shot where two people are fighting I wouldnt use transparency at all... it wont be very visible anyway because of the movements and the distance of the camera.

For a middle distance (for example a shot where the fighter's head and a part of the body is visible (like in a portrait) a cookiecut-map is the absolutly right way.

*Fuchur*

You might could get away with just doing surface properties. Here's a sort of quick stab at it. With some playing around, you might find something that works for what you're doing.

mask.jpg

How detailed do you want it to be?And what sort of mask,Epee or Sabre?Visor mask?

It is possible to get a very accurate representation by modeling, then using materials and decals

Here's a lo-res model epee mask to check out. It's undecaled and has no materials, but the shape is kind of generic to this style of mask. I have several other types, more detailed, if you let me know what age/type I may be able to help you.Similar with swords/clothing if you need that

Also heres a mesh material from a different model. I model the mesh part flat, then apply the material to it, using a pose to bend it to its final shape

Chris Wheeler

Mask.prj

mesh.jpg

mask0.jpg