Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Weighted CP versus fan bones versus smartskin

babreu

I'm working on rigging my first model and I was wondering if there is a general feeling about the best way to get smooth deformations. I've searched for any topics on weighted CPs versus fan bones versus smart skinning; and while I have found information on all of those, I haven't seen any discussions comparing them.

I guess I'm really looking for a comparison on which would use the least resources and be the most responsive when animating and most efficient in general. I hope I'm not repeating an old topic, and if there is already a thread, please let me know.

Thank you.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is no real answer to that...

I like the SmartSkins the most, because they are easy to handle and will very likely work. Others will tell you exactly the other way round.

I think the best way is a combination of all three.

First use Fan-Bones or only CP-Weights, than use SmartSkins to get some last things worked out.

If you know how and you are good with one method, you can in most circumstances use only one of them.

*Fuchur*

I'm working on rigging my first model and I was wondering if there is a general feeling about the best way to get smooth deformations. I've searched for any topics on weighted CPs versus fan bones versus smart skinning; and while I have found information on all of those, I haven't seen any discussions comparing them.

I guess I'm really looking for a comparison on which would use the least resources and be the most responsive when animating and most efficient in general. I hope I'm not repeating an old topic, and if there is already a thread, please let me know.

Thank you.

My recommended method would be all three.

First, build fan bones.

Second, weight control points to skeleton and fans.

Third, use smartskin to fix anything that needs it.

This approach gives you the most versatility, and uses each of these tools to their best advantage.

That's the key - what tools you use isn't as important as the order you use them in. The use of one often precludes the later use of another. For example, porcelean material hides mesh problems. If you apply porcelean and then continue modelling (without removing the porcelean), you're building in problems you may not be able to solve later.

I put in fan bones whether I need them or not, on the theory that it's easier to remove them later than add them.

i think it depends on the compexity of your model. in most cases cp-weighting is enough for my types of characters, i usually just add a few smartskins for the shoulders and some other tricky stuff... if you have a really complex model with muscle-movements or whatever i agree with the guys, start with fan bones, go over to weighting and then do smartskin...