Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

It's all about the light isn't it?...

TRN

Hello everyone!

Lately I was looking around the hash pictures to see how astounding these modelers can make such 3D images look so real.

(See pictures below for examples)

I know how the lighting works as to making a room illuminated but how do the artists make things look soft and realistic?

I really am not sure how to do it but do the artists use a certian surface texture to catch the light or do they simply soften the light up to make it bounce?

Anybody know the answer or can show me some tutorials around that can help me on this topic?

This is so cool

agep.jpg

light_Pic23.jpg

light_Pic.jpg

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Admin

Lighting makes a huge difference.

Lighting has always been an essential element of animation.

2D... 3D... its still just as important.

It permeates a work.

Don Bluth lists Lighting as one of his 'Seven categories to Consider' in making any animated film. The list includes:

- Character

- Setting

- Layout

- Action

- Pace

- Lighting

All of these elements should be considered and work in concert to focus the eye on what is most important.

Lighting is all about focus but it also establishes mood and tone.

A:M has lightyears worth of lighting features to explore.

Keep things as simple as possible as you go.

Keep focused!

A search on Lighting here in the forum will turn up excellent discussions on ways to approach the subject from A:M.

There are also many scenes and projects on the Extra DVD to explore. The first image you posted is there to investigate.

Hi Tim ...

I can help you a bit ...

Image #1

Stian used a process called IBL - Image based lighting is a 3D rendering technique which involves plotting an image onto a dome or sphere which contains the primary subject. The lighting characteristics of the surrounding surface are then taken into account when rendering the scene, using the modeling techniques of global illumination. This is in contrast to light sources such as a computer-simulated sun or light bulb, which are more localized.

Image based lighting generally uses high dynamic range imaging ( HDRI ) for greater realism, though this is not universal. Almost all modern rendering software offers some type of image based lighting.. Animation:Master is one of them... I love this method and I am using it in various projects :

kitchen0.jpg

wallorkut.jpg

16.jpg

25.jpg

tunning3.jpg

city.jpg

update7.jpg

10.jpg

Images #2 and #3

Was used RADIOSITY that is a global illumination algorithm used in 3D computer graphics rendering.

That is one amazing portfolio.

That was a good question, Tim - I love it when people ask the questions I haven't been able to articulate.

If you do a search for "image based lighting" (including the quotes) you will find this tutorial to get you started, also from Xtaz:

http://www.hash.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=24628

Thank you thank you thank you. And WOW!

Theres so much to discover about lighting.

The links are a big help and thats what I was aiming at to get as much information about this.

Now I just have to read everything to start some basic tests.

It'll take a while but I'll be comming back asking more questions as always.

Thanks Caroline, Xtaz (nice pictures), and Rodney! B)

You've been a big help