Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Babbage Patch water tutorial

flashawd

Me again - I have been playing around with the Babbage Patch water tutorial for the past 6 hours and having problems making it work. I downloaded the project file - and have it in AM 14. Anyone that has done this tutorial in a recent version and got it working - I would love some help. I have the "final scene" open and put the two created actions "displace motion" and bump map in it. I go to render it for 5 seconds and it just renders the image w/ no motion... not sure what I am doing wrong - I have trying things over and over an no success. I did get the displacement map motion working when I rendered it. Thank you - Eric

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I will have to look at the tut again but usually to have a material move you translate it in the chor. Goto material then there will ...sec I will try to get a screen capture

bab.jpg

In the chor you can set the values shown in the picture to change over time and this will cause movement

Does this help

Hi John - I did that part and got the displacement map working fine (#4 on the tut) I rendered it out as a .mov. Then in step #5 I applied the .mov as a decal on the new grid as "displacement" with a value of -7. Then I open up the "final render" chor and set it up to render for 5 seconds - the final rendered movie has no movement, just a still image. Not sure what I am doing wrong - any ideas? Thank you for your time. ;)

-Eric

John - I tried that, and still no luck - this is very frustrating, this is the second day I have been playing with this. Did you get it working? If so would you mind posting it where I could download the project file, so I could pick it apart and see what I am doing wrong. I know other people were having problems with this too, just because it was made for many versions back. It might help a lot of people that were interested in it to have a working version of it. Thank again for taking your time to help, it is much appreciated - Eric

Eric

I haven't tried the tutorial in a long time but will try it later....and post.. Are you getting any displacement or just not movement.

Also darktree simbiot water materials do a nice job

watersim.mov

The white one in front is ice

http://www.darksim.com/Repository/

John - I am not getting any displacement or movement - I am going to start from scratch and go through the entire tutorial one more time to see if I have any luck. ;) The darktree simbiot water materials aren't bad, but I just the love the look of the babbage one, I just can't believe this program was capable of doing that that many years ago. Thanks - E

Hi John - I started from scratch and tried the tutorial again, and still no luck.

I haven't tried the tutorial in a long time but will try it later....and post

Please - only if you have the time, but don't put too much effort into it. Or if there is anyone else that had success w/ the tut and doesn't mind sharing the project file, while I have some of my hair left it would be appreciated. ;)

Thanks - E

Okay

I did a quick try and got this displacement map qt after turning the ambient intensity to 0 instead of 100

displace_map.mov

But I only did 30 frames I would apply that with at least a 150% displacment How the displacement is handle has changed

I also just tried a simpler method and made the material and animated the mesh and got this....I did not try to copy the color of the babbage sea just the idea

simplebab.mov

simplebab.zip

Hi John - the simplebab.mov looks great! I have to run out, but when I get back, I'm going to download it and check it out. I had also put the intensity to 0 and was able to get the displace map from above which I applied as a decal to the graph.

I just can't get the final chor to work - I've got the shortcut to bump motion set to 5 seconds and also the displace motion's cycle set to 5 seconds. The decal image (.mov) the grey one that you have above and that I rendered - is set for 5 seconds - set to "displacement" and set to -7%. I also tried it at 100% like you suggested - and still no luck.

I have seriously rendered this thing out about 50 times trying different settings on everything. It's to the point now that I have invested so much time in trying to get this to work, it would be very disappointing to not get it working - so I'll keep trying different things before I let it go.

I'll probably end up using your simplebab.mov idea - it looks great.

Thanks again - Eric

Hi John - yes, I have taken a deep breath, am now relaxing. ;) Thank you for the project file - I have been comparing your version and mine and the difference is on the waves model when you scroll over the timeline on yours you can see the movement of the waves and on mine it is just still when you scroll, so I am doing something wrong in that area. Anyway, thank you again, for helping me. I also opened up your simplebab.zip and you mentioned you animated the mesh, but I have it open and don't see where you animated it, just that the displacement of the material is set to 1500? How'd you do it? It looks great and like you said very simple.