sprockets Live Answer Time Home Page Featured Free Models spotlight Rigged Spider Tinkering Gnome's Workshop
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Blocks of blobbies

wingalls

I've started playing with particles, and thought that blobbies would make a good blood effect. I may end up with streaks in the end, but in the mean time, I need to know what is causing this strange grouping of the blobbies.

I've tried changing every parameter in the blobby emitter and the sprite emitter, but nothing seems to change the square groups of blobs to a continuous stream of blobs.

Does the properties of the emitting surface effect the emissions? My emitter surface has four patches. If it had 49, would the emitted blobbies behave differently?

The attached picture shows this unusual (I think) clumping of the blobs. When rendered, the blobs are still grouped. When stepping from frame to frame, the bounding squares stay in exactly the same place and the bubbles flow through them. In other words, at no time during the animation do blobs exist in the spaces between the blocks.

Anyway, if someone knows the location of the "Wierd/Not Wierd" switch for this, please let me know. Meanwhile, I'll go back to fiddling with my Rome burning project particles. I've touched on streaks and blobbies, so I guess it's time to tackle sprites. (Why do I feel like I'm reinventing the wheel fire? Oh, I know. It's because I can't find that extensive body of work by johnl3d. Hopefully, someone will know where it went).

- Wes

P.S.

I can't seem to get the jpg to upload, so I'll draw a picture of it. The block made of "S" is the emission source. The blocks of "B" are the resulting bubbles.

SSSSSSSS BBBBBB

S S BBBB

S S BBBBBB BB

S S BBBBB BB B

S S BBBB BB B

S S BBB B B BBB BBB BB

SSSSSSSS B BBB B B B

BBB B BBB B

BB BBBBB B BB

B BB BBB B B

B BBBB B B BB

B BBB B BBB B

B BB BBBB BB B

BBB BBB BB BB

B B BBB B BB B

BBB B B BB BB

B BBB BB BBBB

BB BB B B B

BB BB B BBB B

B BBBB B B B

BBB BB B B BBB

The start of a block of bubbles seems to be lined up vertically with the end of another. Horizontally, their seperation suggests the effects of gravity.

P.P.S.

Is it going to be One of Those Days?! First, the post won't take my upload, and then it won't let me draw any ascii art! (All the leading spaces disappeared).

Let's try the ascii again:

.SSSSSSSS BBBBBB

.S S BBBB

.S S BBBBBB BB

.S S BBBBB BB B

.S S BBBB BB B

.S S BBB B B BBB BBB BB

.SSSSSSSS B BBB B B B

. BBB B BBB B

. BB BBBBB B BB

. B BB BBB B B

. B BBBB B B BB

. B BBB B BBB B

. B BB BBBB BB B

. BBB BBB BB BB

. B B BBB B BB B

. BBB B B BB BB

. B BBB BB BBBB

. BB BB B B B

. BB BB B BBB B

. B BBBB B B B

. BBB BB B B BBB

P.P.P.S. ARRRRRRGH! I don't believe this. Apparently, this forum does not allow more than one space between letters!

Ok. This is the last attempt. If you've stuck with me this far, please try this link: http://home.san.rr.com/xenasubtextcomic/ex...0of%20blobs.jpg

<FILE REMOVED FROM URL>

Thank you.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I just did a blobbie trial in V14a and got this

blooddrips.mov

the breaks are there because I cut down on the number of blobbies but I do not see chunks

blooddrips.zip 14a

This probably would be better with v15 fluids

did a quick test with 15

fluidblooddrips.mov

You need to wrap them in code tags

oooo$$$$$$$$$$$$oooo
				  oo$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$o
			   oo$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$o		 o$   $$ o$
  o $ oo		o$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$o	   $$ $$ $$o$
oo $ $ "$	  o$$$$$$$$$	$$$$$$$$$$$$$	$$$$$$$$$o	   $$$o$$o$
"$$$$$$o$	 o$$$$$$$$$	  $$$$$$$$$$$	  $$$$$$$$$$o	$$$$$$$$
 $$$$$$$	$$$$$$$$$$$	  $$$$$$$$$$$	  $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
 $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$	$$$$$$$$$$$$$	$$$$$$$$$$$$$$  """$$$
  "$$$""""$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$	 "$$$
$$$   o$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$	 "$$$o
  o$$"   $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$	   $$$o
  $$$	$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$" "$$$$$$ooooo$$$$o
 o$$$oooo$$$$$  $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$   o$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
 $$$$$$$$"$$$$   $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$	 $$$$""""""""
""""	   $$$$	"$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$"	  o$$$
		"$$$o	 """$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$"$$"		 $$$
		  $$$o		  "$$""$$$$$$""""		   o$$$
		   $$$$o				 oo			 o$$$"
			"$$$$o	  o$$$$$$o"$$$$o		o$$$$
			  "$$$$$oo	 ""$$$$o$$$$$o   o$$$$""
				 ""$$$$$oooo  "$$$o$$$$$$$$$"""
					""$$$$$$$oo $$$$$$$$$$
							""""$$$$$$$$$$$
								$$$$$$$$$$$$
								 $$$$$$$$$$"
								  "$$$""""

Thanks guys, for your prompt and constructive feedback.

For jzawacki: Well, duuuuuuuh! I knew shouda known that!

For johnl3d: Wait. Version which?

For robcat2075: I'll put up a prj file IF the problem still exists in version 14.0a, which I am loading now. Heh, funny story ... see when I got the CD update to AM2007 last week, I installed it and then didn't even think to come here for an update. Thought I was getting AM2007. Ah, well. So ... when I saw john's (can I call you John?) post with a test in ver 14.0 and your post about checking the version on the prj ... well ... I finally put two and two together and went hunting for the upgrade.

Ah ... it looks like the install is complete ... and now instead of version 13.0I (13.0L? ... can't tell with that font), I have version 14.0a ... and the problem is still there.

So attached here (or at http://home.san.rr.com/xenasubtextcomic/ex...obbies-test.prj <FILE REMOVED FROM URL>, if I can't get the upload to take) is the project that is producing the problem.

What's not shown in the project file is that I'm running AM on a Windows XP (SP2) platform, and using Netscape 8.1.3 to (still) unsuccessfully upload an attachment.

Thanks again, guys.

- Wes

I once had a problem like that. I was making spraying water that was moving fast. The blocks of particles where caused by the FPS limit. Apparently the particles are only emitted exactly on each frame and not calculated in between.

One way to get better results out of this is increasing the FPS and render only the odd frames for example.

Maybe your problem is the same, so you can try if this works for you.

Wes

You had the material messed up. Instead of the normal attribute for the blobbies it was changed to sprites and got your interesting effect.

I redid the material and just roughly set the parameters and got this

Clipboard01.jpg :o

Here is the revised project file

ablobbies_test.zip

Oh, ho! Thanks Mr. Gnome (can I call you Mr. Gnome?). Since this was my first blobby, I didn't know that a sprite emitter wasn't part of a blobby emitter. (Thought it was just a reuse of code kinda thing).

Apparently, the "Change Type To" menu option has different results depending on what type you are changing from and to.

You can change from a blobby or a streak emitter to any of the other types without any apparent difficulty, and changing from a sprite system to a hair system (and vice versa) works. But if you change from a sprite or hair system to a streak or blobby emitter, trouble ensues.

In summary:

"Change Type To":
Emitter -> Emitter	  OK
Emitter -> System	   OK
System -> System		OK
System -> Emitter	   STRANGE

There may be a valid reason for a blobby or streak emitter to have a sprite or hair emitter under it instead of attributes. If anyone can think of it, let me know.

In the mean time -- THANKS EVERYONE.

- Wes

Upon further investigation ...

Luuk Steitner, you are todays winner! (Yay.)

Here are two identical projects except for the FPS:

30 FPS - http://home.san.rr.com/xenasubtextcomic/extra/30fps.jpg

300 FPS - http://home.san.rr.com/xenasubtextcomic/extra/300fps.jpg

For johnl -- your prj will display the same effects as mine if you change the Blobby Emitter properties thusly:

Viscosity -> 0%

Rate of Emission -> 1500

Initial Velocity -> 100

The implications of these images are mind-staggering:

http://home.san.rr.com/xenasubtextcomic/ex...0fps-bounce.jpg

http://home.san.rr.com/xenasubtextcomic/ex...0fps-bounce.jpg

Do you think Newton considered the effects of FPS when he wrote his laws of motion?

Thanks again, everybody.

- Wes