Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Keyframing malaise

someawfulbridge

I'm working on a walk cycle--I did one forever ago, but haven't touched on any actions or choreographies in awhile, so I don't recall having had this problem before . . . .

I make my first pose, click off the model (so I'm not just copying that one bone), go to the end of the cycle, copy the keyframe. Then I go to the halfway mark and paste mirrored, which does absolutely nothing. OK, no sweat, my guy's a little assymetrical, so that's probably why, I just manually make a mirrored pose. But now, on frames 1 and 24 (the beginning and ends), the poses that were there have gone all wonky. One of the legs is now goose-stepping and the other is somewhere else crazy.

Fortunately, I still have my previous attempt at copying the keyframe in memory, so a quick paste keyframe restores it to order. But now my halfway, mirrored pose has gone all screwy!

What's going on here? I just want to make a keyframe, paste it, and move to the next, without the next screwing up the one I just did.

For what it's worth, I'm using 13t.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm using an EXTREMELY simple home-brew rig (I'm a control freak and want to learn to make my own from scratch--of course this one needs no fan bones or anything special (including toes!)).

I figured it out, I think. I changed the default interpolation from Quat to Vector and that seemed to fix it, based on a quick test. Euler worked as well.

Hopefully that's it. Thanks!

• Hash Fellow
I figured it out, I think. I changed the default interpolation from Quat to Vector and that seemed to fix it, based on a quick test. Euler worked as well.

Quat should be the least troublesome of all the interpolations. I think some other problem is at work but without seeing the project it will be impossible to diagnose.

I was about to post it so y'all could see what was going on, if necessary, but it turns out A:M was all crazy and had to be completely reinstalled (which took all of 2 minutes). Now it's working, even with Quat interpolation, just beautifully. Apparently, OSX, in all its majesty, decided to randomly corrupt at least 4 of my commonly-used applications today.

Crashes less than a PC my butt.

Anyway, thanks for your help!