Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Animation Master Questions?

mrtech

Hi I was wondering what are the lip sync tools like in Am?

What sort of documentation does Am come with?

What sort of technical support can I expect from am company, if i bought am.

Does am have a paint program simular to that of bodypaint?

What feature films does anyone know of that have been developed from am.

How easy is it to learn the moddeling tools?

What other software is compatible with am?, In your own words how does am compare with major packages like cinema 4d?, or lightwave?

If you can answer any of these questions I would be very grateful.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As a disclaimer, I am not a representative for Hash, just a user of AM. Here is the "New Users" page that might answer questions that I don't.

Hi I was wondering what are the lip sync tools like in Am?

There is the ability to use Dope Sheets that you can see in the video tutorial called "Can You Say That" located on this page. Personally, I think doing the lip sync by hand is faster and better. The Squetch Rig has a set of controllers called FACE that are based on "visemes", which is outlined in the book Stop Staring by Jason Osipa (very good book). There is an example rigged character called "Squetchy Sam" on the Wiki page for the rig that you can download and use.

What sort of documentation does Am come with?

This year it came with a physical version of the Technical Reference, there is an online version of The Art of Animation Master that has a hard copy of the content of the video tutorials I mentioned, there's these forums (if you have a question, you should get an answer relatively quickly), there are the Tech Talks, here is a pretty extensive list of tutorials, there is the beginnings of an AM Features Wiki and a lot of other links you'll find throughout these forums.

What sort of technical support can I expect from am company, if i bought am.

That would be better answered by a Hash representative.

Does am have a paint program simular to that of bodypaint?

3DPainter

There is presently a community project that is a feature length film...TWO (TinWoodman of Oz).

How easy is it to learn the moddeling tools?

That depends on the individual...how easy is it to draw?

What other software is compatible with am?, In your own words how does am compare with major packages like cinema 4d?, or lightwave?

AM can import objects from other software, but only as props or converted to the AM model file. If it is converted, you would have to do a lot of cleaning up. AM is not a polygon-based application...the packages you list are polygon-based, so it's harder to go from or to them from AM.

If you can answer any of these questions I would be very grateful.

I hope that was helpful...you didn't need to post your questions more than once though.

• Hash Fellow

There is presently a community project that is a feature length film...TWO (TinWoodman of Oz).

And a few more... "Telepresence" (1997) and "Miss Cast Away" (2004) were live action with CG effects movies. I've seen them both. While not GREAT movies, the effects work are good examples of what very small crews with very small budgets can do. With other software it would never have gotten done at all.

There's also a full CG feature called FarStar in production, no finish date announced.

But really, if you're making a feature film, the software you use isn't your main worry. The toughest part is the humungous collection of people you need to get it all done.

AM can import objects from other software, but only as props or converted to the AM model file. If it is converted, you would have to do a lot of cleaning up. AM is not a polygon-based application...the packages you list are polygon-based, so it's harder to go from or to them from AM.

And just to amplify that... In A:M a "prop" is an imported object that you do not intend to "rig" or otherwise edit. You can put it in A:M scenes and move it around. If you need to change it in any way, you should do that in the program it originally came from and re-import it.

If you convert a polygon model to A:M splines, some cleanup will be needed as most polygon models do not have well constructed meshes.

Triangle based meshes are the worst, don't bother with them except as "props".

Quad meshes that came from NURBS or SUB-D modelers have more promise, but a new user would need to understand essential A:M concepts like "spline continuity" and the proper use of unique A:M things like the 5-point patch to properly edit them. These models will not generally be ready to use after simply importing them and substantial editing skills will still be needed.