Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Is there a generalized constraints tut?

robcat2075

• Hash Fellow

There's no shortage of tuts that tell about how to install a rig and they often make mention of specific constraints to apply in specific places.

But I often find my self wishing there were a more basic tut I could refer new users to that covers these constraints in sort of a "what they do and why that is useful" manner.

I'm thinking a good constraints intro would cover essentials like Aim At, Kinematic, Orient like, and Translate To and talk about their potential uses in rigging situations rather than identifying them as being in a certain rig in a certain spot.

Is there anything like that already?

Actually there was a book called "Charater Animation in Depth" that did quite a bit of that (in A:M even!) but I dont' think it's commonly available now, and of course, not online.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

There's no shortage of tuts that tell about how to install a rig and they often make mention of specific constraints to apply in specific places.

But I often find my self wishing there were a more basic tut I could refer new users to that covers these constraints in sort of a "what they do and why that is useful" manner.

I'm thinking a good constraints intro would cover essentials like Aim At, Kinematic, Orient like, and Translate To and talk about their potential uses in rigging situations rather than identifying them as being in a certain rig in a certain spot.

Is there anything like that already?

Actually there was a book called "Charater Animation in Depth" that did quite a bit of that (in A:M even!) but I dont' think it's commonly available now, and of course, not online.

Hi Robert,

This won't help you today but I am working on a series of rigging tutorials for my web site.

They will be basic to intermediate rigging tutorials and address the very issues that you speak of.

I hope to have them finished in two weeks or so.

I will PM you when I finish so that you can check them out.

Take care.