sprockets Shelton's new Char: Hans It's just donuts by ItsJustMe 3D Printing Free model: USS Midnight Rodger Reynolds' 1950s Street Car Madfox's Pink Floyd Video Tinkering Gnome's Elephant
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

decaling an odd shape

bighop

Ok, I am having a hard time with this one. I'm trying to make a cut out of a person and decal them on a plane.

1. I cut the image out in photoshop.(not sure what is the best for saving)

2. I want to put the person on a cutout that is the exact shape of the decal. (I'm using it as a prop)

3. Do I have to model the shape, which is taking forever, or can I put the decal on a plane, and get rid of the white background?

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If you cut out an image in photoshop use the selection tool to select the shape then in the path menu create a path around the image and the export it as a illustrator file which you can import the ai into AM and apply your image

I'm posting a render of the wireframe and results ...a little rough but I spent 25 minutes after I posted this the first time

testai0.jpg

testaidecaled0.jpg

I think there is a tut to show how to do this done by Gene do a search in the forum

I assume you are just going to use the image sitting in one place, at one angle to the camera. If you're going to turn it, you're going to have to model it. But you needn't go overboard. Decals are magic. A featureless model like Thom with a decal can be amazingly convincing if you don't turn it too far or let the camera get too close.

I once did something for a museum where we took a white plaster bust of Ben Franklin and projected on it a video of an actor in costume. The actor stayed in one place, of course, but talked and made facial gestures. The angles were chosen such that it looked like Franklin in a dark room with just a key light coming down from about 60 degrees. You could walk all around the bust and it really looked like a living Franklin.