sprockets Hans Donuts 3D Printing USS Midnight 1950s Street Car Pink Floyd Video Tinkering Gnome's Elephant
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Scale cps AND skeleton simultaneously

oakchas

I'm just kinda going hmmm? Why not?

When you open a model from the libraries (or, if you don't have your libraries set up; from the data folder)... Why, when you alter the model in wireframe mode, are you not also altering (scaling/translating) the skeleton?

Since you are not actually changing the basic geometry, except to make it taller, skinnier, and thicker here and there; I don't understand why the skeleton doesn't scale as well.

I think I'm missing some important aha moment here... because it seems logical to me that both would scale/translate at the same time.

hmmm? why not?

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hash Fellow
I'm just kinda going hmmm? Why not?

When you open a model from the libraries (or, if you don't have your libraries set up; from the data folder)... Why, when you alter the model in wireframe mode, are you not also altering (scaling/translating) the skeleton?

Basically the CPS are children of the bones, the bones are not children of the CPs.

Since you are not actually changing the basic geometry, except to make it taller, skinnier, and thicker here and there; I don't understand why the skeleton doesn't scale as well.
You CAN alter both simulanteously in bones mode. Pick a bone, hit S to scale it, hold down the CTRL key while you scale it and the mesh will transform with the bone. Also works for Rotate and Translate

When you pick a bone you need to make sure it's a real geometry bone with CPs attached to it, and not a rig bone that merely controls other bones

Basically the CPS are children of the bones, the bones are not children of the CPs.

Why, of course! That makes too much sense

Thanks for the answers guys...

And I appreciate the "ctrl" scale tip.. Does that affect all the children of the selected bone and their CPs, too? ( I'll try it and find out)

Holding down Ctrl while scaling,rotating, or translating a bone will also move the associated geometry. And also the child bones and their associated geometry.

Easy way to recale an entire character: switch to bones mode, then click off of the model. The "black bone" will be flashing (that is the model bone). Now use Ctrl while scaling to sesize the whole model.