sprockets Making and Using Drop-On Poses TinkeringGnome's Atomic Rings PRJ 2001 Star Gate effect in A:M with PRJ Comparison of AO and Radiosity Renders Animated Commercial by Soulcage Tralfaz's Lost In Space Robot Rodger Reynold's Architectural WIP
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

lighting

LIGHTBEING

hi,

i want to light up, a square patch, i know how to make a light bone, and i know how to make a klieg light, but i need the whole suare patch to light up without anything els around it lit up, i can light up the patch with the klieg light but it looks like a spot light is on it.

i also know i can make the whole patch glow, but i dont want it to glow, i just want the square patch to be lit, can any one help?

thx paul :D

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can turn the Ambiance of the square up to 100%.

You can put a light on it and use Light List so that particular light will only affect that square model.

Thats 2 methods that come to my mind, maybe there is other.

You can put a light on it and use Light List so that particular light will only affect that square model.

ummm exacly how do i attach the bone light on the square patch? i know how to attach a bone to a model but the bone light doesnt flash on and off to attach it to the model :s

thx paul

ummm exacly how do i attach the bone light on the square patch? i know how to attach a bone to a model but the bone light doesnt flash on and off to attach it to the model :s

thx paul

First lets forget about bones. All models have a model bone (even before you add one) and all lights have bones and you grab the bone to move them in a modeling window... in chors or actions you can just grab the light. Now we forget bones.

If you are in a modeling window and want one patch to light up you can select that patch (in muscle mode), and make that one patch a group by changing the temporary name it now has in the PWS under groups (if you don't name it, it goes away when you unselect... I'm not sure of your AM expertise level). Rename it patchlight (or ?) and now you can open up the properties of that group (aka the patch) and open the surface properties and crank up the ambiance and give it a color. It will act like a square (or whatever shape) when you render it. No "lights" needed at all. The down side of this method is that it will only get so bright and if you use composite it gets a little tricky. The other way is to use a spot light and make the beam a square by placing a wall of patches with a square hole in it, in front of the light! This of course has its down sides like the patches which are blocking the light! It also seems like a rotoscope might work but I have not tried this (be slick though!).

When you are in the Chor window it is a different world. You have all your models set up to make a scene and here is where you can add a light and then in the PWS drag the light onto a model shortcut name (note the light itself does not move) and this creates what is called a 'light list' and the light will only shine on that model. Note that the light will shine on 'all' of the model and not just one patch... unless the model 'is' just one patch... and this is how I normally do monitors or tvs or displays on space ship consoles. I drop my model of the TV into the chor and then I have another model -- perhaps one patch or 4 or ? -- which exactly fits the tv screen (normally I have copied the screen and pasted it into a new model) anyway it acts as the screen and then I drag a light onto that and my screen lights up.

Hope this helps,

Rusty

thx paul

If you really Do have to have a light as part of the model, then look at the PWS after you've added the light. The light will start-off at 0,0,0 in the modeling window. Select the light in the PWS and drag and drop it on the name of the bone that the geometry is assigned to, which will make it a child of that bone so that it moves with it. In bones mode, you select the light name in the project workspace to select it, then you can translate it to the desired position in your model.