Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

copy/flip/attach

flashawd

Hello - I want to copy/flip/attach part of an object to make all the sides exact, but I need to delete a portion of it before I do - when I select the cp and click on "delete" on the keyboard it deletes the cp's, but attached what is left to other cp's - is there a way to select and delete the faces so it just removes it all cleanly? - hopefully I explainded what I am trying to do - Thank you.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

The best method that I have found for using copy-flip-attach is as follows:

1) Select and copy the geometry that you want to copy-flip.

2) Copy the geometry into a new model window and position the model so that the spline that will form the central spline is aligned with 0,0,0.

3) Select all the CPs on the central spline and scale them so that they are all on the axis that you will flip across.

4) Select all the geometry and then perform the Copy-Flip-Attach.

5) Select all the geometry and Copy-Paste it back into your original model.

I have noticed that if other geometry is present, even if hidden, it can effect the copy-flip-attach command. This is why I usually do the copy-flip-attach in a new object. Also it is non-destructive this way. Your original model is still there until you delete it.

Also be aware that if you attempt to delete half your object by just selecting CPs and deleting them that you are likely to be left with splines that need to be broken before doing the copy-flip-attach. Doing it by copying half the model and pasting into a new model will avoid the neccessity to break, (K), any splines.

Good luck! :)

You want to delete splines - which is what the "detach" and "delete" buttons on the toolbar are for. (They do not work the same as the delete button on your keyboard.) For simple models - do that. For complex models - what Paul said.

You want to delete splines - which is what the "detach" and "delete" buttons on the toolbar are for. (They do not work the same as the delete button on your keyboard.) For simple models - do that. For complex models - what Paul said.

Which "delete" button on the toolbar are you refering to?

I hope not the one with the two black scratches where the mouse-hoover tells "Delete (Delete)"...

[EDIT] Point 4.5 will be delete the old geometry? ;)

Worked perfect - thank you everyone. ;)

The way I always do it is about the same but a few less steps -- no create model and paste to new model. I guess pasting the half to another model is done for safety. But the 'save' just before does this for me.

1. Save and hide all but that which you wish to work with.

2. Select the center spline, set the pivot to 0 and scale on X to 0.

3. Select the side you wish to 'copy, flip and attach' and, copy it ( C... well for windows)

4. Select both sides and hit the delete key.

5. Do Paste ( V... on windows) to retrieve the mesh you wish to work with.

BTW, this duplicates your groups but a free plug-in called... darn, don't remember... well it will fix this and another one fixes the decals this also duplicates.

Also, for the copy/flip/attach I select the mesh AND then with the mesh selected I hold down shift and select the center spline then do the C/F/A. Probably this is not needed but I've had the C/F/A command do it the wrong way and this prevents this so I do it anyway (I think it use to be needed).

For what its worth,

Rusty