Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Roomate's Head

I've been rather ill lately, and have not had the concentration to work on the real project at hand (our Mountain film) so I built a 3-D model of my roomate's head. It's kinda creepy without ears and hair and the neck is incomplete, but it was a fun challenge to build a realistic head for a change. (We may use it in an animated version of him to introduce his architecture portfolio in the future, but no immediate plans.)

dushan_wire_front.jpg

dushan_wire_side.jpg

dushan_test2.jpg

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice work. Did you use photos for the Face decals?

The colour, specularity, and bump decals were all derived from a highly-distorted, very re-touched photo. (see below) He was VERY unsettled to see his face all un-wrapped like this!

face_decal.jpg

Added teeth, eyelashes, finished decaling rest of head, gave him creepy smile, changed the jaw-line to more closely match that of the subject (whom now I ca'n't look at without seeing splines swimming across his face.)

Whew.

Time for bed, long day (job interview wish me luck)

MoreDushan.jpg

That's great - I hope it was enough to take your mind off illness.

It's funny, but after modelling someone, I guess painting them too, you look at them in a totally different way - like you're thinking, how wide is the bridge of their nose, while they think that you're just looking them firmly in the eye, and concentrating on what they're saying.

(And I only mentioned the very slight flaw, if it is one, because the rest was so good - I was too picky - apology. :) )

(And I only mentioned the very slight flaw, if it is one, because the rest was so good - I was too picky - apology. :) )

Not at all! Don't worry about it; I'm always glad to have stuff like that pointed out; it is so hard to see one's own work with a critical eye.

Be picky =)

And I'm feeling much better now, thank you!

no i mean make the decal?yeah, still woosey i think haha! nice model great decal!

Yes, the decal was a heavily modified version of the reference photo. Here's how :

First, I cut the photo in half, and mirrored the sections, since it was not quite a head-on shot.

I used Photoshop's "Heal" tool to eradicate parts of the photo and "stretch" the face out to cover the un-wrapped ("flattened") face model. Also, I evened out the brightness, removing shadows and highlights from the source.

The "liquify" tool in Photoshop is inadequate to distort images with the precision needed, so then I used WinMorph (a wonderful freeware bit of morphing/warping software) to stretch and squish the features such as the lips, brows, and eyes so they also matched the flattened model face.

Bump and specularity maps were derived from the "un-wrapped" image as well, which contributed to the effectiveness of features such as the eyebrows, and the beard stubble. Additional profile decals were also used, with some tricky alpha channels to hide the decal seams, for the sides of the head. The hair was a pain, as I am NOT a hair-stylist, but after a ton of tweaking, I was able to generate a reasonable simulation of D.'s tousled hair. The eyes are standard DarkTree "humanIris" textures, on eyeballs with modelled corneas/lenses with transparency and refraction. (This looks more "deep" in my experience, and good eyes are ALWAYS worth a render-time hit.)

Whew. Lotta work. :)

Hey Jesse -

The model and textures look excellent. Something I still haven't quite come to grips with A:M - texturing. The bump map used on his skin for pores and specular highlights is fantastic!

Anyway, I also wanted to ask, how did the job interview go?

- Michael

...Anyway, I also wanted to ask, how did the job interview go?...

I think it went very well - it is a job assisting people with public-access computers. I aced their proficiency tests (not hard).

I'll find out whether or not I'm hired in the next few days. Thanks for asking!

Damn! Any other job interviews you have lined up? Or does this free you up to continue working on your movie? :D .

- Michael

Ha ha. While this does free up my time, I need to spend that time looking for a new job. I AM doing some work on the film, lighting some of the finalized shots.

I have a few other interviews lined up, but they are dreadful retail/service jobs - nothing even remotely related to computers/graphics. Fortunately I go back to school soon, so once I finish my degree (finally) I may actually have a decent chance at something I can enjoy/be challenged by.

Once I resume earning money, be it whatever job I can eke out a living from, I will be going back to "The Mountain" film production in earnest.

Grim times. <_>

With your obvious talent and dedication, you will land a fantastic job! "The Mountain" is looking incredible and I can't wait to see your final cut :D. With the skills and talent you have already demonstrated here, I think you will be extremely successful.

- Michael

• 9 months later...

Every now & then, I like to crack open an old project and play with it.

Here's a shot from some lip-syncing I've been doing with poor Dushan's head.

I added SSS as well and find it, well, kinda disconcerting.

Rendered in v15.

:lol:

Happy New Year everyone. School starts again next week so I'll be too busy to post too much.

3d_dushie141.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Don't take a job rejection personally - lots of qualified people do DOZENS of interviews before landing one. The thought kinda makes you sick again, doesn't it?

But then, what the hey, an interview only takes an hour, you have two dozen of those in a day, and when you finally do land a job you can hold onto for at least a few years, it doesn't seem like it took all that much of an investment.