Ferrari of Houston

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

seriously you didn't, in fact it doesn't even look like you used it...is it supposed to be at night? even so i think the lights should be on, some places keep there lights on over night. the lights don't need to be inside have some lamp post out side or some thing.also it would be nice if the horizon was covered up, you know with something like buildings or trees...adding a glowing moon would be a nice effect too...

Due to the size and layout of the room your subject is not really inside (good for radiosity) and not really outside (good for ambient occlusion).

You might try using multiple instances of a low intensity klieg with a large cone angle (160 -179 deg) to build an array of very large, overlapping lights just outside the window glass to simulate diffuse skylight. Render with at least 5x multi-pass and at least 2 rays per lamp. That's how I lit and rendered the large room in the attached image which has the "look" you might be trying for.

You might also want to crank up the brightness of your sky. IMO, it appears overly dark, even for an oncoming thunderstorm.

Penn_Station_00.jpg

Due to the size and layout of the room your subject is not really inside (good for radiosity) and not really outside (good for ambient occlusion).

You might try using multiple instances of a low intensity klieg with a large cone angle (160 -179 deg) to build an array of very large, overlapping lights just outside the window glass to simulate diffuse skylight. Render with at least 5x multi-pass and at least 2 rays per lamp. That's how I lit and rendered the large room in the attached image which has the "look" you might be trying for.

You might also want to crank up the brightness of your sky. IMO, it appears overly dark, even for an oncoming thunderstorm.

Great suggestions... I'll try them soon. I love the idea about the many kliegs. And due to all the confusion i will be removing the "tint" from the glass. The dealership has tinted windows. But I think no tint would work much better for what i'm trying to do.

P.S. The room you made looks great! Did you use Radiosity, Ambient occlusion, or defult render? Think I could see your screen shots of the chor? So I can see the light setup.

Think I could see your screen shots of the chor?
See attached image with a side, end and isometric views. Each of the eight semi-circular windows gets five instances of the same klieg resulting in 40 lights total. It's likely that I could get the same effect by using eight really huge kliegs but I haven't tested that yet. The lights are almost touching the window frames. The farther the lights are from the windows, the more distinct will be the shadows of the frames.

Besides the external sun light source there's also a group of four low intensity lights within the room (you can see the selected bone of one of them highlighted in yellow). These shadowless sun style sources are aimed towards the four compass quadrants and upwards at a 45 deg. angle. to simulate light reflected from the floor.

Did you use Radiosity, Ambient occlusion, or default render?

No radiosity, I haven't had the motivation to play with it yet and ambient occlusion isn't optimized to work inside closed rooms.

I used render values I mentioned in my last post, 5x multi-pass, shadows on, two rays from the kliegs and five rays from the sun.

Penn_Station_01.jpg