sprockets 2001 Star Gate effect in A:M with PRJ Comparison of AO and Radiosity Renders Animated Commercial by Soulcage Tralfaz's Lost In Space Robot Rodger Reynold's Architectural WIP Live Answer Time Demo Tinkering Gnome's Sparkler PRJ
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Certain Bones Disappear When Creating Actions

Dale_The_Bold

Sorry for starting so many new threads, but I'm basically diving headlong into A:M this weekend, and I've taken all next week off to submerge myself in it. So bear with me. :D

The trouble I'm having right now is that when I start a new action, a few bones (thigh and calf) are missing from my rig. When I lift the foot, or pull down the pelvis, the knee bends properly. So it is seeing the bones and the model is responding properly, but I cannot see them, nor select them to manipulate them. I could assign coordinates mathematically, but that would be a nightmare to have to do that every time, and I like to be able to see the skeletal structure as I animate. All other bones appear and work properly, but the leg bones are invisible. Is there a setting I can change? I don't have them "hidden," they just automatically become hidden in the action window. I can see those bones in the modeling window just fine.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Without knowing what models you're using I will guess that the pelvis and feet are targets to which the bones are constrained. When the bones are constrained to the targets you would not want to move the bones separately, otherwise it will conflict with the target. You can, however, turn off those targets by turning off FK/IK of your pelvis and feet in Properties.

Could you post a screen capture?

What I've done at this point is re-build the right leg, which you can see in the screen shot. Whatever was making the bones disappear wasn't in the new bones. I renamed the new ones with the exact same names and hierarchy as the originals. I still haven't done the left leg, but my intention is to save a new version of 2001 Skeleton so I don't run into this problem again. But it's a mystery to which I'd like to find the answer.

post-1468-1172380175_thumb.jpg

Just as I thought. Please refer to my first post, you have targets for your pelvis and legs to which, as part of the 2001 rig, the bones are constrained. You didn't really build your bones you applied a rig. If you do not want the 2001 rig, then my suggestion would be to build your own from scratch. To modify the 2001 rig may get you in unforeseen trouble. The hidden aspects of the 2001 rig is what makes it work so well.

After reading your first post, I deleted the targets. I'm guessing there must be some residual settings then from those targets having been there?

You will see how your model will work without these targets. It actually makes it more difficult to animate.

If you saved the altered version of the 2001 rig (after you deleted the targets), then you will get it without targets anymore. The best thing to do is to copy the 2001 rig again from your CD (in the data folder) and copy it back into your library.