Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Smooth surfaces

grumpei_troll

I've been looking at some of the models on the AM disc and I noticed that they have very smooth surfaces. I was wondering what the best technics to smooth out models were especially when it comes to character modeling or Is there a plugin available? :huh: I'd like my models to have that sculptured look to them.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was wondering what the best technics to smooth out models were especially when it comes to character modeling or Is there a plugin available?

Yes - it's called experience - seriously. There is a material (Porcelain) that will assist when you get close but it won't fix all your woes.

Cheers

Follow the AM manual and start modeling. When you have a problem, post an image and then we can better help you out.

And did you ever try to use the Porcelein-Material from the CD? (DATA->Material->Geometry)

Be sure the normals of the patches point outside and that you restart A:M after flipping normals. Otherwise, the material will produce black patches, etc.

There is a tutorial in the forum... just search for porcelain.

It can help, but you have to provide a nice model.

*Fuchur*

It comes with practice. you push,pull,tweak the bias handle,etc. untill the CPs and splines are just where they need to be.

No plug-in, and no porcelain material will make it happen. There are a number of tutorials to help you--in the manual, and online. But you still have to just do it. You will at some point have that zen-like moment of "getting it". We have all been there, trust me :)

It comes with practice. you push,pull,tweak the bias handle,etc. untill the CPs and splines are just where they need to be.

No plug-in, and no porcelain material will make it happen. There are a number of tutorials to help you--in the manual, and online. But you still have to just do it. You will at some point have that zen-like moment of "getting it". We have all been there, trust me :)

I was reading the AM: A Complete Guide and they explain how to use the gamma, alpha , and magnitude to achieve a smooth surface. So I began to look at the Sir Nigel model and I really appreciate just how smooth the face is; even with as many cp's to create the definition. I've gotten to the point where I can eliminate creases and place hooks in place of a 5 point patch but my next goal is to achieve that same smoothness. The porcelain material for me is just a check tool to make sure I don't have any creases. thanks for your post.

You will get a smooth surface if you first model it with very few splines and CPs and than add new once at the same point where the curve would have been without the new CP...

Smoothness will be archieved, if you make the spline "flow" ;)

*Fuchur*

PS: There is a plugin at sgross.com called smooth, which does basically something like comparing a spline with less CPs to the one you got, but it jsut works with smaller values and smaller problems, because otherwise you will loose to much detail... feel free to test it. BUt be sure you save your work and do it on a copy...

a plugin cant be undoed...

You will get a smooth surface if you first model it with very few splines and CPs and than add new once at the same point where the curve would have been without the new CP...

Smoothness will be archieved, if you make the spline "flow" ;)

*Fuchur*

PS: There is a plugin at sgross.com called smooth, which does basically something like comparing a spline with less CPs to the one you got, but it jsut works with smaller values and smaller problems, because otherwise you will use to much detail... feel free to test it. BUt be sure you save your work and do it on a copy...

a plugin cant be undoed...

I knew i read that there was a plugin somewhere. I believe your talkiing about the same exact one that i read about months back. So I am building up the models to basically add more detail. Thanks :)