sprockets 2001 Star Gate effect in A:M with PRJ Comparison of AO and Radiosity Renders Animated Commercial by Soulcage Tralfaz's Lost In Space Robot Rodger Reynold's Architectural WIP Live Answer Time Demo Tinkering Gnome's Sparkler PRJ
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Proxy Models

Tralfaz

Can some one tell me (or point me in the right direction) how to use proxy models in your animations?

I believe a proxy model is a low patch/poly version of your more detailed model. I am not sure how you replace the detailed version with the low detailed version and vice versa.

Are there any tutorials or documentation on this? I tried searching the forum, but did not really find anything.

Thanks in advance...

Al

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Al,

I use Proxy models when animating TWO, but I haven't ever created one yet!

But looking through my own notes, I found I jotted down some instructions at one point on how to do it:

-- create a proxy version of a model --

1. open the model you want to create a proxy for

2. save the model as it's proxy name (man_proxy.mdl)

3. strip down the CPs and geometry of the proxy model

- don't touch any bones or constraints

- you can replace entire parts like hands with boxes

-- Working in Choreography --

1. drag the Proxy model into new Choreography

2. work with the proxy model as needed

3. when you want to switch to the real model:

- click the Shortcut to in the Properties panel

- change it to the real model

-- Working in Action window --

1. create a new Action, choose the proxy model

2. work with it as needed

3. when you want to switch:

- close the Action window

- right-click the Action in PWS

- select Edit with and choose the real model

-- fix Constraints to work using a proxy --

1. make sure both the real model, proxy and props

have Embedded = On

2. in the PWS, in the Choreography

right-click the Shortcut to Proxy

3. select Rename, rename the proxy shortcut back

to the original model name

4. now select the proxy model in the Objects container

and switch Embedded to Off

-Jim

Look at the project workspace, under Choreography. You see "shortcut to" for all of the Objects that have been placed in the Choreography.

If you look closely at that shortcut to model, you will see that you can click on it and get a dropdown of all the other models that are loaded into the project. So by picking another model, it switches places with the one that was there. It keeps all of the actions and animations that were done to the model beforehand.

So this is how you swap out the models. As long as they have the same rig, you can use any model.

A:M models are generally "light" in construction, so there is not a requirement that you use proxy models. You can speed up performance in other ways, such as changing the draw mode for different models in the choreography.

Thanks Jim and William for the information. The reason I am asking about the proxy models is that when it comes time to start animating my AT-AT, I would like to be able to render quick animations to nail down timings. The AT-AT has a lot of detail modelled into it and will also include textures, bump maps, etc. As it is right now, it takes over a minute to render one frame (multi-pass) and it probably isn't going to get any faster by the time I am done.

Thanks again...

Al

• Admin

Sam Buntrock created a nice tutorial (in two parts as I recall) on Proxy models.

Unfortunately, it looks like Sam's site is down.

The tutorials should be winging their way toward you on the Extra DVD sometime in January.

I know that doesn't help a lot now but its a great little tutorial.

If Sam's site will be down for an extended period of time perhaps he'll allow us to post it on A:M Tutes for the Tutorials Forum.