sprockets Live Answer Time Home Page Featured Free Models spotlight Rigged Spider Tinkering Gnome's Workshop
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

I need help with constraints.

Dhar

A simple task as picking up a telephone receiver is more than meets the eye.

OK, so I have Shaggy answering a phone; I wat him to pick up the receiver with the cord attached to it. In order for the cord to follow the receiver, I made the receiver bone a child of the last cord bone so that where ever the receiver goes the rest will follow. However, when i constraint the receiver to Shaggy's hand, the rest of the cord bones do not follow :blink:

Now if I make the receiver the parent bone, the problem is the cord will move as a solid part of the receiver and you wouldn't have the amiability of the cord.

Would appreciate it if anyone out there has the solution to share :)

[attachmentid=20193]

post-5367-1157075255_thumb.jpg

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I made the receiver bone a child of the last cord bone so that where ever the receiver goes the rest will follow. However, when i constraint the receiver to Shaggy's hand, the rest of the cord bones do not follow

Did you have "attached to parent" set to "on" for the receiver bone, Dhar?

Dhar! this would have been a great topic in the Rigging and Constraints section....

I think you want to have a "kinematic" constriant here, with the bones of the cord all being in the same bone chain, with thier respective attach to parent option on.

the the last bone in the chord should be Kinematic to the hand set of the phone.

Mike Fitz

www.3dartz.com

Thanks Mike. You're right about where to put this thread, I thought since this is my work in progress that's where I'd put it, but I'm not posting the whole wip here. Would the moderator please move this to the Rigging & Constraints section, please? :)

I am trying to IK constraint that last bone of the cord to the hand receiver, but it won't give me that option. It won't let me IK anything that is part of the phone!

I am trying to IK constraint that last bone of the cord to the hand receiver, but it won't give me that option. It won't let me IK anything that is part of the phone!
Try taking the receiver's bone (the intended target of the kinematic constraint) out of the cord's hierarchy of bones.

Try taking the receiver's bone (the intended target of the kinematic constraint) out of the cord's hierarchy of bones.

Yureka! That did it :D Thanks Stuart.

I so love this forum :wub: