Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Flower Sniffin

Old 'little' project that I never finished and since I was itching to do some animating again after a bit of a break (holidays, fixing things and such) I thought I would start finishing it off. Here's the flick:

Flower Sniffin

I still have a problem with the feet skidding (I have never fully worked out how to avoid this, or if I did I have forgotten how to do it) and a few other glitches.

I have basically put Bella in her Igloo nad changed camera angles on her - not sure if I have done too many though...

It's great to be doing some AM again!

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Don't worry about the feet slipping, (you really should track down what the problem is though... Could be the "stride" you built; could be the "stride length" you set; could be you don't have "use stride length" turned on; could be you didn't use the "stride" feature). The character is so simple and unadorned, and the action so perfunctory, that a little foot slipping is excusable. I got the gist of the storyline, and that's all that counts.

However, when (and if) you do want to start going down that route of increasing artistic complexity, then you'll want to redress the feet slipping issue. I believe that animation comes first (that's why this program is called "Animation:Master"), and you're satisfying my visual needs but other people might be more critical of the art. That's a decision you need to make for yourself. If you are tempted to try and improve the draftsmanship of your images, I recommend trying only one or two new (and more difficult techniques) per animation. That way, the animations keep rolling out (the important thing), while you're learning. Some people get so caught up in the "look" that they never animate a d**n thing. That's okay on it's own level but like I said, this program is called "Animation:Master."

Thanks for showing the animation.....you can refine when and if you truely want to....I like it as it stands and would like to see more from you and I bet it will show improvement in your skills that will come naturally as you progress through Animation Master......There's alot to grasp, but that's half the fun...

Mike

Wha? Why would he do that? Is this Hitler as a young ruffian? All the time and effort nature put into creating that flower and he destroys it in an instant. Destroying is for losers.

But the real mind bender is that you created this mindless destruction. And the sissors was created to destroy. Aragh! Can't think about it no more.

Wha? Why would he do that? Is this Hitler as a young ruffian? All the time and effort nature put into creating that flower and he destroys it in an instant. Destroying is for losers.

But the real mind bender is that you created this mindless destruction. And the sissors was created to destroy. Aragh! Can't think about it no more.

:lol:

Ken, have you smelt that flower? Why else would she cut the head off it!

• 1 month later...
If you are tempted to try and improve the draftsmanship of your images

Two months later…

I am tempted to improve the image quality of my work but I think I prefer the relative simplicity of the characters and I am more interested in what they do than look like. I mean I could use hair on Bella Bear but what bothers me is the render times and I think people will be looking at my inability to use hair rather that what the character is doing.

I dunno. I am in a quandary like many others who have limited time. Although I feel now that I want to drop all other interests and hobbies and go at these stories and nothing but before I end up looking too much like Gandalf…

But I am sure I will get side-tracked buy something new and shiney. I guess that is why I am galled 'Gazza' since it is Italian for 'Magpie'.

:rolleyes:

• Admin
I am tempted to improve the image quality of my work but I think I prefer the relative simplicity of the characters and I am more interested in what they do than look like.

Gazz,

The effort you've put into improvements is apparent already but don't let that stop you from continuing.

I think you've got the right priority... character first!

Your's is an interesting approach and I think unique enough to be of interest commercially.

In order to be successful commercially however you'll need that quality!

You hit a new level in quality with your Gazz in the tunnel scenes.

Atmosphere, animation... the whole thing was beautiful stuff.

Take this for what its worth... then keep doing your own thing.

I think you should consider a redesign of your characters.

Keep the essence... but refine them a bit.

Lighting and textures can alway be added to up quality in production but its harder to change design in later stages.

Don't lose the unique charm of your characters though!

Your characters and the simplicity in story elements is what is currently making them successful in my mind.

No matter what you do... keep on doing what you do!

I look forward to more "Bella Bear".

You really should consider working on TWO as well.

Its a great place to play with other peoples ideas while refining your own. :)

Sometimes taking a break from your own project can help take it to the next level.

Added: Something that I've always thought Bella Bear seemed perfect for would be adding some elements of Live Action to the CG. If I saw Bella Bear on a kids channel with real actors (probably 1 adult and a couple kids but there could always be recurring guests) acting as if they lived in the world of Bella Bear... it'd just fit. The live actors would introduce the adventures of the animated characters and the characters would 'interact' by talking to them (Note: Not necessarily on screen at the same time). Your castle seems a perfect for this interaction as I'm sure it has lots of places to explore. I wanna visit the Library!

Just typing out loud because I happen to like the world of 'Bella Bear'.

I could easily see this work on kids channels today.

Rodney

I am flattered by your comments and indeed I do find them uplifting and pertinent.

The idea of Bella Bear interacting with live characters has crossed my mind, I was going to do some live footage of the grandchildren (one is 5 the other 7) and mix them with BB just for fun (I know Parlo - Sam Bruntock - has a DVD with Anzovin Studios on this subject). Again, I never got around to it.

I am glad that you found it potentially commercially viable, and don't think I haven't tried flogging it - BBC, Channel 4, Nickelodeon etc. I have also started work on a book using my three stories but the market in the UK seems to be so saturated.

Nevertheless I perceiver. I cannot let it go since I have a vision (or is it a curse?) in my head which I cannot let go. It drives the missus mad but that's tough :D

Thing is all the time I spend enhancing the characters is less time spent animating. I have decided the route to go down is the film festival one. I have entered the IFCT with my latest effort just to test the water. In the meantime I decided to sod the book and finish more of this current animated story.

I just gotta keep at it and not get distracted with flying and diving and how fast is my computer.

As for working on TWO, I keep thinking shall I or shouldn't I. But again, if I did I would never finish my first episode. (Twitches wildly and naws at his fingers wondering).

I heard a good dialogue the other day. A chap was saying he had been trying for five years to become a national DJ sand still hadn't got there. The person he was talking to said there is no time span. You just keep on trying and you will achieve. Mind you if you work is crap then you never will, but I don't think my stuff is crap :blink:

So thank you for your encouragement it is most appreciated, now back to the computer... Now where's the Wacom tablet I think Bella needs a face lift and some eyelashes - everyone thinks she is a boy :(

• Admin
everyone thinks she is a boy

I think I was of that opinion way back when too.

The short hair probably had something to do with it.

You've made Bella an interesting character and at this point its hard for me to picture her any other way.

There is something so right about a character that doesn't have to be the sex idol... glamour girl... whatever... to still have appeal.

You've gone your own direction with these characters and while I would certainly have done it differently... yours is the style that best fits Bella and Friends.

I think yours is one of those projects that has to sneak up on success.

Once lodged in the hearts and minds of the audience (which I percieve as fairly young kids) the corporate suits will have to take notice.

I like that you've been thinking about publishing.

The market may be saturated but the stories you tell in book format can be repurposed to go with your animation. Another benefit... if Bella catches on you've already got at least the book idea ready when the suits come calling.

Bella and Friends aren't anywhere near the style I would use in one of my own projects.

I think that is one of the reasons I like them so much.

I never know what to expect either!

(Now... back to the mandatory TWO pitch for a moment)

If you did get a nice juicy contract to produce a couple shows... are you ready for that kind of success?

Success scares the pajamas off me... I'm no where near ready to deal with it! Luckily success is only a problem for me when I'm dreamin'. ;)

The people you work with on TWO won't work on it forever. When TWO is finally released they'll all be moving on to other projects. Who knows... some might even be interested in working with you on Bella Bear.