Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Textures - Sorry, more n00b questions

Wizaerd

I've read through the manual, but it seems it's nothing more than a textual version of the video tutorials, and doesn't seem to explain materials and textures very well...

So I have this model of a small simple building. I'm trying to get an image of bricks applied to it, but on a single object, the texture displays every which way, and doesn't appear consistent across a single surface.

Here's a screen shot. The texture in question was applied, but even on a single wall it's quite wonky... SO what am I missing here? Why do I have this sneaky suspicion that the way the texture lies on the object depends heavily on how the object itself was built... Please tell me I'm wrong, and that it's something way simple I've overlooked...

post-9553-1154746346_thumb.jpg

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I would say its the way you modeled this. Did you do a bunch of pieces stretched to shape this That all I can see that you might of done. Post a wire frame.

I created the outline, with the hole in place, then extruded it...

post-9553-1154754059_thumb.jpg

You applied the image to the model.

These would be called "Patch images"...

You could use this... but... the images are "repeated" based on the sizes of the patches. You could even rotate the images to be in the right direction but they wouldn't all be the same size.

What you should do is decal the image. There should be a tutorial explaining how to apply a decal. You may need to apply several stamps to cover everything. In the decal image settings you can set the repeat values to make the bricks the size you need.

Don't change the size of the decal on each stamp. If you do they won't "match". Make sure you stamp from the same decal image scale.

-------

Also you have internal patches... those splines connecting the front and back surface INSIDE the model. You don't want those. Just select the end of each one INSIDE and press delete. Make sure you have the correct CP selected so you don't delete the wrong one... experimentation may help here if you have trouble.

What you want to end up with is a "hollow" shape. You only want a cross section spline that creates a patch on the "outside" surface. You want the shape hollow.

-vern

Also you have internal patches... those splines connecting the front and back surface INSIDE the model. You don't want those. Just select the end of each one INSIDE and press delete. Make sure you have the correct CP selected so you don't delete the wrong one... experimentation may help here if you have trouble.

I'm not doubting there's internal patches, but I'm not sure how to eliminate them. Every CP has it's purpose, and none can be eliminated. The all have legitimate patches on the outside of the walls. I've tried selecting every one of them, and breaking or deattaching, then eliminating the spline, and a face or path also disappears...

Also, I tried applying the brick material, but I've a couple concerns... the first of which is it really slows rendering down, dramatically. Are textures quicker, so may be a better choice? Also, I've ensure all my patches normals are facing outwards, but the brick shader only covers a portion of my wall...

post-9553-1154761724_thumb.jpg

It's tricky..

You need to click on the internal spline so that one... "vector" or spline is selected.

For instance... the front and back wall of the building... your internal splines... there are 3 splines... 2 that go up and across (x y... those create "good" patches) and one that goes "through" (z... bad patches).

They are all connected... but you can delete one of the splines by clicking on the spline. Don't drag select the point. Don't click on the point. Zoom in and click on the end of the internal spline in wireframe mode. (z axis spline).

Hit delete and the other splines won't be effected. If the are you did it wrong. When you select the end of the spline to delete it should highlight... the line highlights in the direction of the spline selected.

------

Bricks... decal or material...

As my previous reply indicates... I prefer decals... mainly for the reason you indicate (render speed) but also because I have more control... I can add dings and chips... use photos of real bricks... easily add displace or bump images etc.

-vern

For the bricks, it was a material because I still can't get the image to work. Not as a decal, because if I understand decals correct, it's not really a texture map, more of a sticker(aka decal) on the surface. Doesn't cover the whole surface, just a piece of it.

Back to the internal patches... I certainly hope I don't come across as extremely dense, but I do not see any splines in the Z axis that can be deleted. Every one of them defines an edge to a visible outward patch...

How would I have kept these internal patches from being there in the first place? I built the surface of the wall with the doorway and window cut where I wanted them to be, and then extruded. Seems to me to be a viable way, but if it builds internal patches, then why does anyone even use extrude?

post-9553-1154787543_thumb.jpg

Ok, here's what I've learned so far... Previously I was creating my wall with render-able surfaces, then extruding. This caused all the internal patches (I believe)...

So what I've done instead is create the outlines of the wall and window, but did not make then surface patches. I extruded, then surfaced the front and back walls (because I will need both sides of the wall to be actual surfaces)

This eliminated 99% of the internal patches I was getting before. However, I have one left and am not exactly sure how I can get rid of it...

post-9553-1154809457_thumb.jpg

• Admin
This eliminated 99% of the internal patches I was getting before. However, I have one left and am not exactly sure how I can get rid of it...

Easiest way to get rid of unwanted splines (internal or otherwise) is to use either the K Key (Kill) or D Key (Delete) on your keyboard. Just make sure the spline you want to get rid of is selected.

Easiest way to get rid of unwanted splines (internal or otherwise) is to use either the K Key (Kill) or D Key (Delete) on your keyboard. Just make sure the spline you want to get rid of is selected.

That's part of my problem. I don't know which spline to get rid off. the ones along the Z axis are the corners of the window and doorway. The splines running along the Y axis are for the surfaces along the Y, as is the X aligned spline. All for edges of this internal patch are edges for an outward visible edge...

• Admin

Ah... I see said the blind man.

Your best bet would probably be to build in one more outline of a spline to separate the two openings.

Pic coming up if someone doesn't beat me to it.

A fairly easy way to avoid this problem is to always have 3 levels to your mechanical objects.

Then the chambers inside will always at least have 5 points and therefore never be renderable (unless you make them that way via 5 point patch tool).

Look at the setting changes I made on the Project I posted I moved the material foward (offset in the z direction) so the red was on the outside. It has to do from what I remember on how the material was made, just know that is how it works

• Admin

Rather than just confuse you more I'll upload the project file.

This is an adapted version of John's wall.

The attached solves the internal patch problem in 2 ways.

The first method is to add a middle layer in the extrusion.

This can still result in internal patches if not careful.

One way to defeat this would be to never extrude anything internal to the object... only the outline.

The way I did it in this case was to grab all the inside Control Points within the outline of the wall, hit the Period key to invert the selection and extrude that outline.

Note: Rather than being mostly useless this middle extrusion could also be used to create a bevel.

The next method makes the first method unnecessary but I left both in the model for reference.

For the back of the wall I just copied and pasted the front wall at the back and flipped its normals.

Using this method the back wall cannot contribute to any internal patches as its not a part of the same mesh.

A third method (not demonstrated in this file but I have one available) `can work if you've got enough splines available to you.

For those internal patches that you want to be rid of hit the Y Key to insert a Control Point half way down the selected spline. The new CP then resolves the issue for the internal patch. Just check to make sure it didn't remove any other patches that are needed. If they are needed you might opt to make the other area a 5 point patch that renders.

In summary,

For a simple model make the outline and extrude that (extrude twice as necessary).

close off the front and back (or just copy the front to the back and either attach or put in place).

Delete unwanted/excess splines.

Result: No internal patches.

Rather unrelated: I changed the magnatude of the edges to 8% to give them a slightly beveled edge.

There is a brick material embedded in the file and splines have been moved to try to best fit the bricks.

rbBrickWall.zip

brickwall.jpg

I've gotten rid of my last internal patches by using 2 5 point patches on the back. All my normals are pointing outwards as expected. But I still have a problem with applying a texture... I've tried both a texture and a brick shader, and I can't seem to get it looking like a continuous brick wall...

post-9553-1154826769_thumb.jpg

• Admin

I see Patch Images and Materials but I think your going to want to use a decal.

Its just easier. I won't suggest starting from scratch here though. Work with the material until you get the look you want.

Patch Images are a non-starter here unless you just want to use a patch and your preferred image to create your decal.

You can adjust either your splines or the material to get the bricks to look the way you want.

Assuming you have the wall to the specs you want... adjust the material.

Keep the renderer rendering if possible or open another window to view the wall as you adjust the material.

Then adjust the X, Y and Z scale until you find the right position.

If your image the doorframe and window cut off right at the point where the mortar in the material is... you have to adjust the bricks or wall to make them match.

Honestly though I think decals is the easiest way to go.

Also: It looks like the back of your wall isn't a part of the group you applied the material to.

When in doubt just select everything, name the group 'All' or something similar and drop the material onto that.

I'm an idiot!

Didn't look closely at the image... no internal patches... so sorry. I'm an idiot... sometimes everyone is allowed to be an idiot.

Back to the internal patches... I certainly hope I don't come across as extremely dense, but I do not see any splines in the Z axis that can be deleted. Every one of them defines an edge to a visible outward patch...

-vern

I see Patch Images and Materials but I think your going to want to use a decal.

Its just easier. I won't suggest starting from scratch here though. Work with the material until you get the look you want.

Patch Images are a non-starter here unless you just want to use a patch and your preferred image to create your decal.

You can adjust either your splines or the material to get the bricks to look the way you want.

Assuming you have the wall to the specs you want... adjust the material.

Keep the renderer rendering if possible or open another window to view the wall as you adjust the material.

Then adjust the X, Y and Z scale until you find the right position.

If your image the doorframe and window cut off right at the point where the mortar in the material is... you have to adjust the bricks or wall to make them match.

Honestly though I think decals is the easiest way to go.

Also: It looks like the back of your wall isn't a part of the group you applied the material to.

When in doubt just select everything, name the group 'All' or something similar and drop the material onto that.

I did select all when applying the image, and what you see in the image is what I got. I have no idea how to adjust it in order to get it to do what I want. It really shouldn't be this difficult, right? I also selected all (and yes, it is a named group) when I applied the brick shader, but again, what you see in the image is what I got as a result.

As far as using a decal, other people have suggested the same thing, but I'm not exactly sure how a decal would help me. I think of a decal as a sticker, a decal on something, a small portion of the over all surface. Like a bumper sticker on a bumper... I don't want a single small square with bricks in it, and the rest of my surface with nothing. If I take the "decal" and stretch it out so it covers my entire surface, then it's just plain too big. No wall is made up of 3-4 huge bricks...

Thanks to everyone for their time and patience, perhaps I'm just too dumb to be using this app...

I'm an idiot!

Didn't look closely at the image... no internal patches... so sorry. I'm an idiot... sometimes everyone is allowed to be an idiot.

-vern

Actually, take another look at the image. There is an internal patch, I just couldn't figure out how to get rid of it because the four splines defining that internal patch was also being used on other skinnable surfaces. Eventually using 2 5 point patches, I was able to eliminate all the internal patches. Of course, now I have huge texturing problems...

• Admin

I did select all when applying the image, and what you see in the image is what I got.

I'm talking about with the material. You did that with a Patch Image.

The reason we know this is that your image perfectly demonstrates the effect.

Thanks to everyone for their time and patience, perhaps I'm just too dumb to be using this app...

You aren't too dumb but we all learn in our own ways.

You have the tenacity. You know what you are after.

You are making some basic mistakes that we all have made.

Make more mistakes... learn more.

The reason I say you should go with a decal is that it is the most likely to give you what you want with minimum hassel. As the images on the A:M CD are mostly all tilable you can make a larger decal image with more than 3 bricks fairly easy. You're thinking in terms of what you currently see... not in terms of what A:M can do.

If you make a square patch and apply that one image to it as a Patch Image you can tell A:M to repeat the image horizontally and vertically to create more tiled bricks. Then once you render out that image you can bring it back in as a decal for your wall. The problem you are experiencing (with the Patch Images) is that your patches aren't identicle... your wall's patches aren't designed for tiling patch images.

Now concerning the material solution... I personally like that method.

I'm not sure if you opened the project file I uploaded.

The material bricks should have been set up pretty well to demonstrate the material side of this equation.

Not real pretty but the basics. You could adjust the settings of the material in that (Break it!!!) and see what works and what doesn't.

Tell you what... pick one method and we'll run that to its logical conclusion.

After that pick another... we'll do the same.

Pursuing multiple solutions simulataneosly is sure to get this more complicated.

Best to focus on one at at time.

A lot depends on the time you have to play with this of course.

We can get this documented pretty well along the way too.

What do you say?

Rodney

• Admin

It'd been awhile since I tried to use tiled images in a single decal.

I'm happy to say this is a lot easier than I remembered.

If you stamp your wall with the 3 brick image (or any image for that matter) you can then tell A:M to repeat that image horizontally and vertically to get it to look right on your object. If you stamped it with another image you can just swap images and the repeat settings are applied to the new image.

The only problem then (with decaling) is making sure you decal all sides of the object.

This is relatively straightforward with the UV Editor.

Yet another option is Bitmap Plus (by Marcel Bricman). It provides a nice solution similar to decaling but with materials that use images to penetrate objects.

Now concerning the material solution... I personally like that method.

I'm not sure if you opened the project file I uploaded.

The material bricks should have been set up pretty well to demonstrate the material side of this equation.

Not real pretty but the basics. You could adjust the settings of the material in that (Break it!!!) and see what works and what doesn't.

Tell you what... pick one method and we'll run that to its logical conclusion.

After that pick another... we'll do the same.

Pursuing multiple solutions simulataneosly is sure to get this more complicated.

Best to focus on one at at time.

A lot depends on the time you have to play with this of course.

We can get this documented pretty well along the way too.

What do you say?

If you have the patience to help me out, I'm more than willing to give it a whirl. I did open your project, and look at it, and am completely baffled why my brick material doesn't cover the whole object. I have a suspicion though. Lets try the brick material first...

I was trying out several different methods for extruding the wall that have been given me throughout this thread, methods to avoid internal patches. I'm finally getting the hang of that... SO far, I've had the most luck with, and am most comfortable with the double extrusion, selecting the middle row of CPs and eliminating the splines that make it a skinnable surface.

I've created the brick material, and applied the same numbers/settings you had in yours, and applied it. I get the same results, only part of the object gets the bricks.

Now for my suspicion. Does the direction I extrude my object make a difference? The reason I ask is in the first couple of tests, I extruded downwards. The bricks cover the front but not the back of the wall. In the attached project, I extruded upwards, and now the bricks cover the back, but not the front...

I made sure all my normals were pointing outwards, but this is still the same result I get...

For some reason, the forum won't let me upload my prj file, so I've renamed it to txt. Just rename, and take a look at it...

[EDIT]

OMG, I just got it... I didn't have anything set in the offset... I double checked yours, then mine and noticed the weren't the same. I re-set them, and now my entire object is indeed covered with bricks... thank you, thank you, thank you...

Wall_Experiment.txt

• Admin
Now for my suspicion. Does the direction I extrude my object make a difference? The reason I ask is in the first couple of tests, I extruded downwards. The bricks cover the front but not the back of the wall. In the attached project, I extruded upwards, and now the bricks cover the back, but not the front...

The direction you extrude shouldn't make a difference *with a material* outside of the direction the normals are pointing.

First things first... select a large part of the model and hit the slash key / to group all.

Name that group something new in your PWS and add your material to it.

Does anything change?

I see your edit:

[EDIT]

OMG, I just got it... I didn't have anything set in the offset... I double checked yours, then mine and noticed the weren't the same. I re-set them, and now my entire object is indeed covered with bricks... thank you, thank you, thank you...

Nothing like the feeling of success and the eureka moment eh? :)

Nothing like the feeling of success and the eureka moment eh? :)

How very true... Ok, now decaling? For something dragging and dropping the image on my object still ends up with "patch mappings" (I think.?.?.?) Where each patch seems to interpret the image it's own peculiar way, thus not giving me a consistent brick texture...

When I try to apply the image as a decal, of course it's too small to cover the entire surface, and if I stretch it, then the wall appears to be made of 3-4 giant sized bricks. I cannot see anywhere to tile decals, or I'm applying it incorrectly...

You suggested some ways of decaling? I'm on a roll, light me up... :D

• Admin

The sharing of files definitely tells the tale too.

Here's an adjustment of some settings on your file from my end.

Okay then... Decals it is.

Note in the second attached image that this is just 1 image stamp/decal on the wall.

The image itself is of a few bricks.

Once the decal is applied (New/Decal in the modeling window) the decal's image can be set to repeat.

In the second attached image the setting on the X axis probably needs to be increased to 12.

I've made no attempt to flatten the object, hide or separate the various sides, etc.

You'll see the undecaled areas in red.

I've modified the object (made the door off center/the top of the wall drop down) to demonstrate how the decal images are effected (or in this case not effected) by the geometry beneath. This will not be true with patch images.

DarkBrick.jpg

DecalTest1.jpg

• Admin

Okay... decals.

I'm using my wall again because 5 point patches should be avoided where they aren't necessary.

In walls they generally aren't necessary.

Here's a little movie file demonstrating one decal with one tileable image placed on top of a strangely shaped wall that has a brick material preapplied. The number of bricks on the wall depends on the number of repeats set in the decal image properties. The setting can be animated over time.

In my example the repeats should increase in size (in the X axis) in order to shorten the width of the bricks in the decal to make them look more realistically porportioned.

DecalImageRepeat.mov

The sharing of files definitely tells the tale too.

Here's an adjustment of some settings on your file from my end.

Okay then... Decals it is.

Note in the second attached image that this is just 1 image stamp/decal on the wall.

The image itself is of a few bricks.

Once the decal is applied (New/Decal in the modeling window) the decal's image can be set to repeat.

In the second attached image the setting on the X axis probably needs to be increased to 12.

I've made no attempt to flatten the object, hide or separate the various sides, etc.

You'll see the undecaled areas in red.

I've modified the object (made the door off center/the top of the wall drop down) to demonstrate how the decal images are effected (or in this case not effected) by the geometry beneath. This will not be true with patch images.

Due to your included screen shots, I see where I was going wrong with the decaling method. I didn't dig down deep enough to find the repeat settings for the image of the decal... whew, that's a lot of branches with numbers and settings... Where might I find the definition for all these settings, and what they actually do?

For the time being tho, I think I'm too lazy to do the decal approach. If I'm understanding what I'm doing, if all surfaces are going to be visible to the camera, then all surfaces have to be decaled. That front wall would be a headache to get all those edges... Maybe not to everybody, but for me...

I've built a second wall, and when applying my brick material, it appears rotated. I tried messing around with some of different settings (like offset, etc...) And is there help for using these materials as well?

post-9553-1154852979_thumb.jpg

• Admin
I've built a second wall, and when applying my brick material, it appears rotated. I tried messing around with some of different settings (like offset, etc...) And is there help for using these materials as well?

There is an entire forum area dedicated to experimentation and refining of materials.

It's forum 46 on your A:M dial: The Material Laboratory

I mentioned it briefly before and I think you should check it out.

In the Material Laboratory you should find information about Bitmap Plus.

I now thing Bitmap Plus *is* the solution you are looking for as it combines the power of materials with the flexibility of decal images.

Here is the link to the pinned topic: Bitmap Plus A plugin by Marcel Bricman*

*He knows bricks apparently... he's a bricman. ;)

There is an entire forum area dedicated to experimentation and refining of materials.

It's forum 46 on your A:M dial: The Material Laboratory

I mentioned it briefly before and I think you should check it out.

In the Material Laboratory you should find information about Bitmap Plus.

I now thing Bitmap Plus *is* the solution you are looking for as it combines the power of materials with the flexibility of decal images.

Here is the link to the pinned topic: Bitmap Plus A plugin by Marcel Bricman*

*He knows bricks apparently... he's a bricman. ;)

Actually, I did try the Bitmap Plus plugin that came with A:M, and I couldn't get it to work...

post-9553-1154882281_thumb.jpg

• Admin
Actually, I did try the Bitmap Plus plugin that came with A:M, and I couldn't get it to work...

Hmmm.... I haven't launched Bitmap Plus in v13 so that might be the problem.

Will have to investigate.

Hmmm.... I haven't launched Bitmap Plus in v13 so that might be the problem.

Will have to investigate.

Actually, it looks like it does actually work, just dunno what those specific settings are for, or if they'd even affect anything... But it does still work as far as applying the brick image correctly...

• Admin
Actually, it looks like it does actually work, just dunno what those specific settings are for, or if they'd even affect anything... But it does still work as far as applying the brick image correctly...

Cool. Thats good news. I need to look at Bitmap Plus anyway.

Right now I can't get it on the schedule as I'm deep into putting the Extra DVD together.

Can't afford to miss that deadline. (I'm behind too... I was suppose to upload the directory/DVD structure 1 August!) Eeek. Extra DVD vAlpha2 is burning in the DVD drive right now.

Cool. Thats good news. I need to look at Bitmap Plus anyway.

Right now I can't get it on the schedule as I'm deep into putting the Extra DVD together.

Can't afford to miss that deadline. (I'm behind too... I was suppose to upload the directory/DVD structure 1 August!) Eeek. Extra DVD vAlpha2 is burning in the DVD drive right now.

Will the Extra DVD have material, texturing, and decaling tutorials? :) Specially on materials...

Will the Extra DVD have material, texturing, and decaling tutorials? :) Specially on materials...

Right now we have the exercises in "The art of Animation:Master" (TaoA:M) which is what this area is for! Please complete those exercises before distracting everyone with your premature questions. When you have your TaoA:M certificate, then move into the "Students" area and complete "Animation Boot Camp" (ABC) to get certified there. When you have completed the basic introductory A:M training materials, then take your questions to the "Animation:Master" area or one of the specialized topics of this forum. If you have a problem with these recommendations, please contact me personally.

Right now we have the exercises in "The art of Animation:Master" (TaoA:M) which is what this area is for! Please complete those exercises before distracting everyone with your premature questions. When you have your TaoA:M certificate, then move into the "Students" area and complete "Animation Boot Camp" (ABC) to get certified there. When you have completed the basic introductory A:M training materials, then take your questions to the "Animation:Master" area or one of the specialized topics of this forum. If you have a problem with these recommendations, please contact me personally.

I have been through the excercises in the book, and it didn't cover internal patches, the brick material, texturing (other than decal and basic colors), the included shader plugins, etc... I didn't realize asking questions in a New User forum was considered distracting... I'll try to keep my questions to myself...

Thanx to everyone who did help me out so much tho...

I have been through the excercises in the book, and it didn't cover internal patches, the brick material, texturing (other than decal and basic colors), the included shader plugins, etc... I didn't realize asking questions in a New User forum was considered distracting... I'll try to keep my questions to myself...

Thanx to everyone who did help me out so much tho...

Is this contacting me personally? Please, let me see your TaoA:M exercises. I watch this area religiously, and I enjoy everybody's attempts: I did not see yours?

• Admin

Martin is very protective of forum contributors' time isn't he?

He gets right to the point and bottom line he's right about TAoA:M; completing TAoA:M resolves many of the issues presented here in the forum. Those it doesn't resolve it usually sheds some light on.

I'm there for you in the TAoA:M exercises if you want to work through it officially online.

To answer your question on the Extra DVD:

Will the Extra DVD have material, texturing, and decaling tutorials? Specially on materials...

It is slated to have some tutorials on materials, texturing and decaling.

Martin may step on your toes but take it in the way its intended. He wants you to succeed.

It may sound strange but you'll find yourself wishing he'd stomp a little harder the next time. :P

Best,

Rodney