sprockets Shelton's new Char: Hans It's just donuts by ItsJustMe 3D Printing Free model: USS Midnight Rodger Reynolds' 1950s Street Car Madfox's Pink Floyd Video Tinkering Gnome's Elephant
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Composited Shell Casing Vietnam Clip

I thought I would post this in both the showcase and the compositing forum. I've been working on some effects shots for a short film (56 minutes) Using animation master to animate smoke and shell casings. Though certainly my implementation could probably be improved on it doesn't look bad compared to the relatively dead and inactive look of the shots without any compositing. The vietnam sequence consists of a about a 60 second firefight.

-Ethan

[attachmentid=18455]

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Very impressive. I noticed that they didn't even have the ejection port open in the before shot and it looks like you had to model all of that as well. Or are we seeing two different takes?

Very nicely done.

Wade

• Admin

Outstanding work Ethan!

It was really hard to see what you had added without seeing the 'before' shot.

I'd call that success in my book.

I didn't notice the ejection port cover being closed/non existant at first (I take it these were resin M16s? with no functioning parts?). After viewing the 'before' image and going back to view the clip I couldn't help but see it. Unless looking for it specifically I don't think I would have noticed it the first time... I was too busy waiting for someone to get shot!!!

I work around similar weapons every day and I'm certainly impressed.

This could easily have been a shot from training in the field... a day at the range... or worse... Vietnam!

If any critique it might be to scuff up the stocks a bit... tape residue, scratches... something to break up the perfection.

If there is any downside I'd say you made that look TOO real and with that some would assume it was easily done.

Encore! Encore! Encore!

Thanks for the comments! Very encouraging as i've been working hard on these effects shots over the last week.

David they are compressed with the h264 quicktime perphaps you need to download the latest quicktime player?

Rodney, thanks! You're right, the ejection port is also composited. I should have done it to the first gun that shows as well, but I hoped that in all the action of the casings and smoke it could be over looked. Your right about the dirt and grime though, in all the preperations for the rushed 2 day shoot, dirt grime and aging on the guns as well as forearms was kind of overlooked :(. And I'm not about to hand rotoscope dirt on all the guns ;)

Sacman these are the same take.

This one maybe isn't as good as the last one, but here is another short shot with more composited smoke and casings.

[attachmentid=18516]

-Ethan

MCU_Run_ExplosionCompressed.mov

It looks good, except depending on the angle, the branches that he is firing through, maybe one should break off... That, or composite grunge on the stocks... "you takes your pick!"

Still looks good, Though, I see what you mean about the ejection port on the closest gun in the first shot....