Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Can the Chat Room/Instant Messaging be turned off?

Kelley

I don't mind IM queries popping up on the screen when I'm modeling, [and if need be, I can clik the window closed] but when I'm rendering the window won't go away. The cursor does nothing. That means that after the chat, I can't get back to the Rendering Window. Can the Chat Room be dissabled?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't model/animate while the chat room is in session. I find it distracting, and I'd feel bad ignoring someone who's trying to get my attention. So, I either chat or A:M, never both. After the chat I sign off and close the window.

What do you mean the cursor does nothing? Just click on your name at the top of the chat room tab and sign out. Then to close the window, either click on the X in the corner of the window or press ALT 6.

when I'm rendering the window won't go away

Robert,

In my experience, nothing else can be done while rendering... my suggestion? Close the communtiy winodw before rendering.

The Community Window was closed. I never use the Chat Room. But frequently messages pop up on my screen.

When I said the 'cursor does nothing', I meant that no matter what I clik on, nothing happens. If the cursor rests over a menu item in the tool bar, no menu drops down. It's like everything becomes non-functional. The message takes over until I close A:M and relaunch it. Of course, I've now lost my rendering.

So, these messages that pop up are inside the community window? This is probably someone private chatting with you and asking you for help because they see your name in the chat list. Just hit ALT 6 to open the community window and log out.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Admin

Robert,

Did you ever figure this one out?

You said:

The Community Window was closed. I never use the Chat Room. But frequently messages pop up on my screen.

Having the Community Window closed is not the same as being logged out of the community.

To log out you'll need to Click on the top of the Community window where your name is and select 'Log Out'.

The options for 'Online', 'Away', 'Busy' and 'Appear Offline' are there as well.

I haven't tested all of these but 'Appear Offline' will remove your name from the Chat Listing so no one will be able to initiate a private chat with you. When in doubt of course logging out is the best recourse if you prefer not to be distracted.

You've probably figured this out by now but others may still be having the problem.

Rodney