Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Rotoscope Error

I have had this really odd error.

Basically, I right click, <new>, <rotoscope> and then select an image.

AM: Then gives me a white/blank image of the correct pixel dimensions. In the project workspace it lists the correct image, and if I double click on the image it opens up a new window in which the image is correctly displayed. These images are all comming straight off the CD and they worked prior to me attempting Exercise 10. (FW-190 Fighter) Midway through I had to save and quit. After that I have never been able to get the Rotoscopes to display.

Any Suggestions on how to fix this?

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Admin

Mark,

The white rotoscope error is a classic example of video card problems.

The first thing I would do is consider what graphics card you have.

There are some cards that (I understand but have not experienced recently) will probably always be problematic.

Since you haven't changed computers I would say it is likely that something you installed (a game or a new application) changed your driver/settings.

Make sure you have the most current video card driver from the card's manufacturer.

If updating your drivers has no effect here is the simple workaround that many people have used:

Go into TOOLS/OPTIONS and on the GLOBAL tab change your realtime video driver setting from Direct3D to OpenGL or vice versa.

If you experience realtime issues in predictable places depending on what you are doing in A:M you can change this setting on the fly with no problem. Just toggle it back as needed.

Thats what comes immediately to mind.

Let us know how things turn out.

Rodney

You could try selecting Reset Settings, a menu item in the Help Menu. It will change most of your preferences back to the default settings, but it also sometimes restores blank rotoscopes. Here's another thread on the subject with additional possible solutions:

Blank Rotoscope Thread

You can also try switching from DirectX to OpenGL or visa versa.

Curtis

I too have had (currently have) this problem. In my case I am running a Radeon 9200SE card in dual screen configuration. If I turn off one of the screens (on the video card, not by using the monitor power button - lol) I can make the problem go away. This is with the newest drivers and in either OpenGL or DirectX. It's not the best solution because I lose all of that extra real estate, but it does work. If you are running dual monitors you may want to give this a try.

-Doug

The problem is usually video driver or video ram.

1) Update your video card drives off there website. You may also try running in Dx3d if in openGl or vise-verse

2) Close all windows but the one you are importing the rotoscope into. If it is still white/blank when you do that try making the window really small and import the image then re-size the window