Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Mov playing inside animation

• *A:M User*

I am working on a scene that I want a video playing on a screen inside the animation. I have tried to import the mov file and assign it to the page but it will only show the first frame of the video and the image is flipped and and there a four images pasted on the screen. Any thoughts?

Steve

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am working on a scene that I want a video playing on a screen inside the animation. I have tried to import the mov file and assign it to the page but it will only show the first frame of the video and the image is flipped and and there a four images pasted on the screen. Any thoughts?

Steve

Did you use repeat at the decal-setting?

What is setted at the star and end-frame of the video at the image?

*Fuchur*

I am pretty sure that you applied the movie file to a group or the model itself. It is called a "Patch Image"... I think that is it.

To have more control you want to apply the movie file as a decal, just as you would with a still image. Unless you set the repeat value specifically it always it set to reapeat just once as default... unless you selected cylindrical mapping before applying the decal. (I bet good money you didn't do that)

Or...

You could make the "screen" model just one single big patch... then only 1 "copy" will show when you drag the image to the model. To "flip" the image you need to right click on the image shortcut in the model in the PWS window... select rotate image or something like that... keep doing that till it appears correctly... I may have this wrong... it's been a while since I did it.

If you drag an image to a model or to a group... the image will appear on each patch. If your model has 4 patches... you get 4 images... 1 patch one image.

Honestly... I would just redo it as a decal... much easier. ;)

-vern

Vern your idea worked and I can render the animation and the frames. Hoever I can not see the video in realtime so that i can animate to it. What I am trying to do is have a animation playing and have my character move to the animation. the video is a handwriting on a paper. I want my character who is a pencil to follow the scritping.

Do I need to put in a rotoscope of the video and then make it as a decal?

Steve

Make sure your normals aren't flipped...

Sounds like could be video card refresh issue...if you are in OpenGL try the other one, and vicey-versey...

Also- make sure you toggle the quality up/down to try to 'jog' the video card into displaying QT...(pageUP/DN)

If your scene is quite crowded try turning OFF some of the props and characters that are impertinent...

gluck!

I got that working and started working on the animation but ran into a problem that I don't know how to solve. The rotoscope/decal needs to start playing about 8 seconds into the animation but as I put it into the chor window it matches the time of the of the chor. What I mean is that the rotoscope/decal needs to start at 8 seconds and run through about 16 seconds and hold. The character moves for the first 8 secs of the animation and then sees the rotoscope/decal and at that point the video should began playing. But instead the rotoscope decal begins playing at 0 frames. I have tried several things but nothing has worked. Any help is appreciated.

Steve

:o

In this case you need to key frame the start and stop of the animated image on that model.

Click that image in the PWS (the image reference in the model... in the chor). If you look a the properties panel you should see an entry box for Frame.

Set it to frame "0" on frame... "0" in the chor... then move ahead to where it should start... key frame the decal/image to "0" here as well... move ahead again to where you want it to "stop"... and keyframe the image frame value to where it should stop.

Depending on the frame rate of the chor in relation to your smaller animation... you may need to fiddle around with those frame numbers. For instance if the decal/image animation was rendered at 15fps and the chor is 24fps... it's going to play faster inside the chor... uh...

... my head hurts... but you get the idea.

-------

You may want to do a search on the forums for similar techniques. There are ways to create writing matched up to a pen or pencil without having to use animated decals. They might be easier or allow more control.

-vern

Thanks Vern

That is huge help. I was not rey framing the decal/rotoscope but only the model. So as soon as the animation would start so would the rotoscope. Thanks a bunch will try that tonight.

Steve

Look like this was going to work and render on net render and the rotoscope started playing at frame 0. I animated the model to the rotoscope and everything seemed fine. Saved all files and redered animation and the rotoscope was off by 210 frames. Just not sure what I am doing wrong.

Steve

It appears that AM is not recognizing the mov in frames but rather smpte