sprockets Live Answer Time Home Page Featured Free Models spotlight Rigged Spider Tinkering Gnome's Workshop
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Hey all! I'm new to modeling in Animation Master. I have tons of experience poly modeling in Max, but dealing with splines and patches is a bit new to me. Anyway, I'm currently in the process of modeling a pig for a project, but I'm having lots of creasing issues. I've gotten the hang of getting rid of most of them, but I'm not sure how to approach creases in a 5-point patch. Can anyone provide any guidance? Should I even be using 5-point patches where I'm using them? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

[attachmentid=15891]

post-8960-1144698930_thumb.jpg

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's not a hard-and-fast rule, but you should try to avoid using 5-point patches on areas of high curvature. They work best in flatter areas. I'd recommend using hooks instead.

Having said that, I'm sure some of the master spliners can advise you on ways to re-flow your splines, but we'd have to see more of what you're trying to build. I assume this is the snout?

Also, many poly modelers end up making their meshes too dense, for obvious reasons. You might want to study some of the more prominent low-spline models, like Will Sutton's "Kong," or JohnArtbox' "Osprey tutorials."

Here's a larger picture of the head. I'm sure the mesh is too dense. I've been trying to clean it up as best I can. As for the 5-point patches, I'm not sure how I can break the snout up without using them. Once again, any tips on getting the flow right would be extremely helpful! Also, what about 3-point patches? [attachmentid=15892]

post-8960-1144700694_thumb.jpg

Yes. What Luckbat said.

If you cut a pentagon out of a piece of paper and bend it's edges to simulate splines you will get some idea of the complex blending that A:M has to deal with across the surface of a 5 point patch. When the splines, which make up the edges of a five point patch, are all very curved the patch will form furrows that will cast shadows.

Its best to plan for your 5 point patches to fall on farely level ground most of the time and, unless you can actually exploit the results, avoid using them anywhere where the animation will change the shape of the patch. This is not to say that you shouldn't try using 5 pointers anywhere you like but as a rule I only use them where there is no other choise.

I want to try making a model out of lots and lots of five point patches someday. ;-)

I am no expert by any means, but to give you at least some answer for now......

Basically I don't used 5-point patches anywhere where the mesh will bend or curve (within reason). I try and limit them to areas that folds would seem natural or can be hidden by other geometry. You don't have a lot of mesh between the nose ring and the center line so all I can suggest is that you make the 5-point patch as small as poosible and hope that it gets restricted to a smaller more flat section of mesh.

With that said, one thing I would try is ....

[attachmentid=15894]

By extending the ring out and end in hooks, it may make the 5-point and it's possible folding appear more natural as it pushes it closer to the nasal opening..now you can adjust the "bias" handles to tweek it to a point that you feel is acceptable....BIAS HANDLES ARE YOUR NEW FRIENDS!

I would place the hooks..a row or two away from the large mesh bending area

EDIT---doh Paul beat me to the response :)

My 2cents..

post-8497-1144702358_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...