Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Stampede

Hi all,

I'm trying to render a scene with some furry animals stampeding. In the initial test renders the fur goes crazy stretching beyond it's length and penetrating the kows's bodies. I've tried setting dynamic sample at various figures up to 2048 and all of the different dynamic types without success. Setting the dynamic type to none removes the hair stretching, but doesn't fix the hair penetrating the skin.....has anyone come up with a recipe for hair collision detection that works?

I downloaded the hair tech talk which unfortunately is a comprehensive reference to everything but collision detection. :(

[attachmentid=15598]

stampede.mov

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all,

I'm trying to render a scene with some furry animals stampeding. In the initial test renders the fur goes crazy stretching beyond it's length and penetrating the kows's bodies.

Try adjusting the "Bend Angle Limit" on the fur. The default is 180 deg., which tends to be way too free. Try maybe 90 and then adjust from there. Also, the mass of the fur may be too "heavy" for the stiffness settings. It looks like the "stretching beyond its limit" is long fur going through feet, etc., so the other thing you may want to do is adjust the length of the fur on legs, feet, etc. so it is not all the same length. I have gotten fur dynamics working properly before, w/ collision detection on, it just took some tweaking.

That aside, I do like the "kows" [?]; they bound oh-so-amusingly.

Hair won't collide with the surface that is emitting it.

I don't know whether to call this a "bug" or whether it is just an oversight in the design of the feature. I would make a request in AM:Reports.

The work around is to have a emitter surface below the skin and emit the hair through the skin. Then it will bounce off of the skin. I've been just using this with a scull cap beneath the skin of the head to emit hair--but that is really impractical in your situation....

I will put some hair on the Oz characters. That way it will get priority for a fix ;)

I ditched dynamics on the fur as too hard for the moment. Thanksfor the information though guys.

Here's the most recent render..

At the moment I'm changing the groundcover to imageplanes with cookie cut maps because the fur takes a long time to render and isn't really adding enough to justify the increase. A quick test takes my rendertime from 20 minutes a frame down to 5 minutes without the grass material.

[attachmentid=15789]

[attachmentid=15788]

stampedeA.mov

HKow028.jpg