sprockets Shelton's new Char: Hans It's just donuts by ItsJustMe 3D Printing Free model: USS Midnight Rodger Reynolds' 1950s Street Car Madfox's Pink Floyd Video Tinkering Gnome's Elephant
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

I made and incondesent Lamp Bulb

Technodandy

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you tried enclosing your model with a bulb type light source larger than the glass envelope? I think you'll have to turn multipass on so that the exterior of the source is sampled and not just the origin (just spit-balling, haven't tried it).

in skeletal mode, you add the light and make it's starting diameter just bigger than the bulb surface itself.

Then, you should probably apply ambiance to the surface of the bulb so it will glow.

You could even make a pose with the ambiance and light on and off so you could control it in the choreography later.

Hope that helps... give a shout if you want me to make an example.

Thanks for the info, TimeLord. It seem easy enough but I must be missing something.

I followed your directions but how do I see if it is there in the modeling window? Do I add a bone and it glows?. Project works space show that the light is in the bone folder but I can not control or observe it in the modeling window.

Unfortunately if the bulb is by itself, you will not see what is affected in the model window.

However, if you place it near something in the model window, you should see it on a quick render.

This is how it would look in the choreography when placed on the default 'ground' model.

[attachmentid=15120]

I played around with the lens flare settings and a single klieg light constrained to aim at the camera in the choreography.

You could also turn it into a bulb so it wouldn't have to be aimed.

I'll upload the project... this is what it renders.

[attachmentid=15121]

I hope that helps you some... I guess it wasn't as simple as I thought... never tested it until now.

LightBulbTest.jpg

LightBulbTest2.jpg

TestLightBulb.zip

Here is a comparision

[attachmentid=15133]

Wire Frame

[attachmentid=15132]

Rendered

I am guessing that I can click and drag your properties into my model. I am trying to keep the information at a minimum. I also do not know fully what is need. I would like to just save the info that will carry over into the Choreographies and not spend time processing things that will not be seen.

I think this will tie up a lot of loose ends that I can apply to other models.

Technodandy

post-8231-1142173374_thumb.jpg

post-8231-1142173442_thumb.jpg

Technodandy,

There are two lights in my bulb, so you can delete the lights in yours and just drag the bones from mine to yours.

In the choreography on your lightbulb model, you can select the 'show more than drivers' icon and select light2 from the model and create a new 'Aim at' constraint to target the camera.

The light settings should be okay... I don't think I fiddled with the camera at all.

Let me know here if you are stuck.

Ok I still don't get it.

I think I am having a problen with the defaults settings of the bone light object. I see a hint of the shine on the bulb when I put the light in the bulb model folder. In Time Lord's model window I can see an outline of a studio lamp fixture and a small bone around the center of the light bulb. MY bulb model has a bone that is big the fills the whole window and I do not see the symbol of a stage light at all. How can I normalize the location the Light and assosiated bone to the same location as the model in the model window?

Technodandy

Thank you Time Lord,

With your help I think I got it down. The problem is what I thought it was. The Light bone defaults to the origin of the Modeling Window. I had to traverse the bulb model in x, y, z (0,0,0) to line it up. I reduced the light bone width to 1 inch so it would work like the element in the incandescent lamp. The fall off I put for a start 36 inches. I will adjust the size as the situation dictates. The Light bone color I made white. I wanted the color of the bulbs glass to determine the color light it throws.

Here is and example of the lamps I will need for the project I am working on.

[attachmentid=15185]

Shaded in the Model Window

[attachmentid=15186]

Rendered in the Model window

[attachmentid=15187]

Rendered in the Choreography Window

One thing I am trying to adjust in these lamps is how to make the Lamps glow brighter through the Ambiance and specular intensity of the bulb's surface and show ambiance and specular quality when the light is out. That I will have to explore in action.

Technodandy

post-8231-1142291423_thumb.jpg

post-8231-1142291447_thumb.jpg

post-8231-1142291467_thumb.jpg