sprockets Live Answer Time Home Page Featured Free Models spotlight Rigged Spider Tinkering Gnome's Workshop
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Chess Set

arkaos

This is my first attempt at radiosity rendering in A:M. It took me about 2 hrs to model, 1/2 hour to setup and 22:25 to render at 1024x768. Not bad seeing that I used materials for everything except the white tiles on the chessboard. Space backdrop courtesy of NASA.

I hope ya like it. Let me know what you think.

post-6871-1141101972_thumb.jpg

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nice render!

I think your models are a much higher res than the background, wich detracts a little, and the shadows thing

Dhar mentioned, yes, but the big thing for me is youve set the board up wrong. THe queen should always be on her own colour

I know its picky- seriously a nice bit of work there

...but the big thing for me is youve set the board up wrong. THe queen should always be on her own colour

I know its picky- seriously a nice bit of work there

Hmmmm, no WONDER why I've been losing lately... :blink: Actually I set it up according to the picture on the website that sells this set, so...(I wonder if THEY know it's wrong, hee hee).

Thanks for the comments! I only used 3 lights (besides the sun, but it's just for lens flare), so changing the setup will be easy.

This scene really, really, really didn't require radiosity. You are spending all this radiosity render time for nothing. Because there is no environment to contribute radiosity on your chess board, it just looks like a normal raytraced render. That's why you had to compensate with additional lights in your scene. If you placed the chessboard in a room, on a table, then using radiosity would have substantially improve the scene but rendering a chessboard in the void, almost black environment like that is a good example of a use of radiosity that bring no gain and just longer render times.

<_< Learn something new every day. Didn't fully understand that aspect of rendering. Thanks for the tip YP. Maybe I'll do a second version in a room, see what I git. If I use a room, should it be fully enclosed or can I remove a wall for camera positioning?

"I am just an egg..." -Valentine Michael Smith

If I use a room, should it be fully enclosed or can I remove a wall for camera positioning?

The room should be fully enclosed if possible. There is no reason to remove a wall in order to position the camera. Place the camera inside the room.

Mark,

looks good this way too... only one crit: The grain in the circled area, and on that piece of the frame should go legthwise (as well as on the opposite frame piece).

[attachmentid=14796]

sorry, that's just the way it is. Otherwise it's beautiful and believable.

chess_set_02_1024x768.jpg

Mark,

looks good this way too... only one crit: The grain in the circled area, and on that piece of the frame should go legthwise (as well as on the opposite frame piece).

[attachmentid=14796]

sorry, that's just the way it is. Otherwise it's beautiful and believable.

Yeah, I noticed that too...my excuse -> Laziness, lol. I applied the material to the entire model, instead of separating out the groups. I was going to, but I got REAL lazy and said, "Fudge It!" ;)

Well, I really ought to fix it. If I was doing it for a client, I would have to do it right, n'est pas?