Hash, Inc. Forums

Decals defaulting to smears...

Kelley

I started to build another pseudo-WWI tank. The lower hull uses a stamped steel pattern. Each section is a closed six-sided box. Each side of each box has been individually selected and all other CP's hidden, and the steel pattened decaled on. All twelve sides should look alike. The project has been saved many times. However, upon re-starting A:M and opening the project, or, sometimes after a freeze-up and re-start, some sides will look smeared...as though the decal had been applied to one side without hiding the rest of the box. On this example, the side of the lower box is smeared fore and aft, while the bottom is smeared left to right. The other side. and the front and back, are just fine. It's the illogic of it all that stumps me.[attachmentid=14423]

TEXTURE_DEFAULTING....jpg

How many patches on the box?

Something similar came up in another thread.

If you have only one big patch the decals... act oddly. Adding just a few extra splines might solve it.

If you have multiple patches on that mesh... then... I don't have any ideas. Post a wire frame... that might help.

Vernon "!" Zehr

I've not seen this before. Do you get the same results in a final render-to-file? It's hard to see exactly what's wrong with the image you posted, but I'm wondering if maybe your decal tiling repeat value (I'm assuming you've repeated your image along the side of your tank) has gone haywire.

How many patches on the box?

Something similar came up in another thread.

If you have only one big patch the decals... act oddly. Adding just a few extra splines might solve it.

That could be it. Each box is three sections: a patch, short extruded, resized up, a long extrusion, and a short extrusion, resized back down. It's the big patches that are acting up. I'll subdivide it and re-post tomorrow. Thanks.[attachmentid=14432]

TEXTURE_DEFAULTING_02.jpg

Hey there Robert, I had a similar problem, and I'm probably the "other thread" Vern is refering to. While I can't offer much in terms of a solution (I ended up solving the problem by creating the all the images to be stamped in one Illustrator file, and then applied them as a single decal to the model) I can suggest a test to see if you're dealing with the same issue I was. Is there a point where you can add decals, and they render smoothly, and then you add one more and the smearing starts?

My situtation was that I could apply the decal, and it would look normal. I would only see the smearing in the final render. Even using the render lock mode would make the area appear to be rendering normally, but the full, final render would be smeared.

It could be just as Vern is saying, that the single patch can become "over-loaded". Its probably all dependent on how many decals there are overall, the complexity of the model etc, so if you're luck like you and me and just hit the right formula, you get this problem!

Hopefully adding a little spline density will solve the issue for you.

:blink: