Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Spinning prop

This is a problem that arises from time to time as you all know. The spinning prop.

Here’s how I handled it. I created a three frame action. I rotated the bone prop this way.

Frame 0: 0 degrees.

Frame 1: -120 degrees.

Frame 2: -240 degrees.

( the plus or minus determines the direction of rotation, I wanted it clockwise from the pilot’s point of view)

I added 10 percent blur. (Default is 20)

But I was still getting a solid prop. To overcome this I made the blades 85 percent transparent.

But in the action I only rendered frames 0 and 1. I did this because the blur won’t show up on frame 3.

I’ve enclosed a single frame image as well as the action.

(Don’t mind the model, it’s far from finished)

Ed

[attachmentid=14292][attachmentid=14293]

post-2055-1139510143_thumb.jpg

Corsair_prop_3B.mov

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ed,

Yes, props seem to be a problem for many...

Are you aware of the thread about MUFOOF by Xtaz?

Therein lies the key perhaps for spinning a prop... and even showing the Nyquist rate of revolution....

Pretty cool stuff, that may help... take a look, click on the underlined link above

Ed,

On my c-130 model I used the prop rotation expressions shown on other threads plus an action file like yours (I made a 24 frame animation though)

I then made them I alos made a prop rotation disk, a disk that is decaled to look like a prop already rotating, then I made them transparent to a % , as The prop starts slowly rotation up using the actions and/or expressions I slowly switch from props to rotation disk using traansparency, props solid at begining and disks 100% transp. then reverse the transparency as the prop rotates faster,

Cool looking aircraft so far....

Michael

Hi Ed ... I am happy for you to have gotten to apply MUFOOF in your work ... if you have some doubt regarding the method, don't hesitate in writing me ...

OAKCHAS

But the best part is, he (like many others here) shares what he's learned!

This, the basic sense of the life is not?