sprockets Shelton's new Char: Hans It's just donuts by ItsJustMe 3D Printing Free model: USS Midnight Rodger Reynolds' 1950s Street Car Madfox's Pink Floyd Video Tinkering Gnome's Elephant
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Keyframes changing during final render

Last night I did a final render of my project and when I played the movie I noticed that one of my characters limbs (left arm) was moved about 5 cm to the right from where it was supposed to be in every frame. Before I composed the final render I rendered it out in shaded mode to make sure everything looked okay, and all was as they should be.

I ended up having to move the arm back to it's correct position in every keyframe and also the fingers went all wonky. Thusly I had to re-position all 5 fingers in about 25 keyframes (125 fixes...took a while). I saved the project, then did a render in shaded mode. All was correct. Then I rendered in "final" mode with "shadows = ON" and "reflections = ON" (same settings as I used in previous "final" render) and the pesky arm was moved again. Thankfully the fingers didn't go crazy again.

As to what the problem is, I am stumped. I have 3 characters in the scene and about 8 props. The error only affects one particular character. I am using one choreography action for the keyframes for that character. The character is rigged with the 2001 skeleton.

I have never run into this problem before using this character, so...I'm stumped. I was wondering if anyone else has experienced anything like this before? I will post a project file later. (I'm at work now, so I can't.) It is a HUGE project file, so I wonder if I can even post it here?

Oh, I am using version 12.0p, by the way and 2005 "Sorcerez" CD.

System: 2.2 GHz AMD Athlon 64 3700+. 1.0 GB Ram, Ati Radeon PCI Express w/ 256 MB shared. Windows XP Media Center Edition, Service Pack 2.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Could be that you accidentally moved the bone in bones mode?

No. I rendered in "final" mode immediately after rendering in "shaded" mode without touching anything else. This problem occured each time. Each time I did the exact same thing.

Any guesses?

By the way, I am using v12.0q not v12.0p...oops!

No. I rendered in "final" mode immediately after rendering in "shaded" mode without touching anything else. This problem occured each time. Each time I did the exact same thing.

Any guesses?

Yep, I gotta guess. Do you have a pose in the user properties, perchance, that is set to "ON" or some %tage by default, when it should be "not-set"? This happened to one of my Old Man set-ups and it was making me nuts.

Will it load in V11.1?

How big is big?

How big is it zipped?

It should open in v11.1. I haven't tried it yet, so don't quote me on it.

It's pretty big, even zipped. I don't know the exact size but I'll see when I get home in a coupla hours.

I am using a home-made terrain, my Space Hot Rod, my Alien Dude, my Space Captain, Kee-Kat, decals up the wazoo, a few materials, a coupla tree models a wooden barrel, a cart, a totem pole, a cartoon raygun, a winebottle, a rotoscope...pretty big project file. I'll try and post it tonight.

Yep, I gotta guess. Do you have a pose in the user properties, perchance, that is set to "ON" or some %tage by default, when it should be "not-set"? This happened to one of my Old Man set-ups and it was making me nuts.

Hmmmm. Interesting theory. Can't hurt to try it. I'll be durned if I know how any of my poses could affect my arms, but I don't have any better ideas. Thanx, I'll take a closer look tonight. I had at one time used the clench fist pose, but abandoned it because that pre-made pose looks terrible. Who clences their fist like that, anyhow? :blink: Plus his fingers get busy during the sequence, so I decided to "show fingers" and manipulate them by hand (get it ?:D).

Well, here's an update:

I saved the project to a new file and removed everything from the chor that wasn't the character in question or any props he interacts with. I re-reset the arm keyframes and left all of the settings in the project and software as they were before. I shaded rendered a movie, then final rendered one. And no problems occured, but something still goes funky in my original project file.

I looked at the original project file. Almost 8 Mb (it's got a lot of objects and a ton of audio clips and lip-sync actions along with the before mentioned decals and materials and such) so I can't really post it here for anyone to look at.

My best solution as of yet:

I must found out how to import the good version of the chor action from the test project into my original file so I can complete this project before I die of old age (I'm 35, btw. Yes, I'm being sarcastic. :P )

Does anyone know how to do that without screwing up the original (screwed-up) file? I have already animated other characters in this project, so I don't really want to scrap it and start over.

Well, here's an update:

IMy best solution as of yet:

I must found out how to import the good version of the chor action from the test project into my original file so I can complete this project before I die of old age

Does anyone know how to do that without screwing up the original (screwed-up) file? I have already animated other characters in this project, so I don't really want to scrap it and start over.

Yes.

Open the working choreography. Expand the character shortcut in question. You will see a "Choreography Action" under the "Actions" Folder. Right-click it, and you will see "Export as Action". Do this. Save the .ACT file. Now you can scrap the Chor action from the broken project file, and dump in the exported action. (On the right character, that is.)

This is far easier than the alternative of sacking the whole mess.

:blink: Let me know if I can make a bit more sense in any way, just woke myself up with a horrible nightmare and I might not have been terribly clear in that explanation, but my facts are all in order.

Dhar, my character is one I made. I ended up saving the chor to a new file, deleted all shortcuts except for that character. Then I fixed the bad keyframes and exported his chor action to an *.act file. In my original chor, I deleted the old chor action and dropped the *.act on him, and I haven't had the problem since. Not an elegant fix, but it will let me move forward with this project. Thanks, everyone. I think I'm set now.