sprockets TinkeringGnome's Atomic Rings PRJ 2001 Star Gate effect in A:M with PRJ Comparison of AO and Radiosity Renders Animated Commercial by Soulcage Tralfaz's Lost In Space Robot Rodger Reynold's Architectural WIP Live Answer Time Demo
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Need expert's answer to decal question

Eric2575

During the modeling of a somewhat detailed FW190, I realized that I would have to apply cylindrical decals to some parts of the model. The only way that I know how to put cylindrical decals on a surface is to have the part on the 0,0 xy coordinate.

How can I translate the decal to the model instead of moving the model part to the 0,0 point? Say I have 20 different parts all over the model that need cylindrical decals applied. It would be a real pain to move the part to 0,0 one at a time, then put it back in place on the model.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

for decalling, can you select the groups pivot and rotate it so the y-axis is the way you want? Or if you apply a decal cylindrically, will it use the orientation of the view in the model window to define y-axis? Or must you physically position those groups in an action??? I haven't done these experiments, but it is worth investigating--please try them and let us know what worked.

Each decal in the PWS has a translate setting for x and y values. I assume these are to somehow translate the decal position to where you want the decal to be, correct? The conditions for applying a decal in cylindrical fashion are:

1. Have the model on the x-0, y-0 axis.

2. Be in the front view

3. Have the model in the upright position

This is great if you are modeling a coke can, but what if you are modeling a plane for example. In this case, none of the conditions for applying a cylindrical decal can be met. The body (tube)of the plane will not be on the x-0, y-0 axis, the body (tube) will be facing the side view, and the body certaily will not be in the upright position.

This is what I am doing - I select the body of the plane from the top view (my decal is centered on the top) and use the turn manipulator to orient the fuselage to the vertical (this is easily done by holding down the ctrl key after hitting the turn manipulator.) From this view I then turn the pivot manipulators so the x and y axis line up like they would in a front view. I then apply the decal in cylindrical fashion. In shaded mode(not rendered) I see the decal on the model, but totally skewed. When I do a quick render, the decal doesn't show up at all. When I go into the PWS and change the translate coordinates of the decal to the coordinates of the model, nothing happens. I render and still get nothing.

I am beginning to believe this can't be done and the translate coordinates in the PWS under the decals are just there to tease us <_>

It's at times like these that I need to go back to basic principles and do a quick and simple experiment to learn what's happening.

I suggest the following;

- start a fresh project with a new model and a copy of your decal

- the new model is a simple cylinder with its long axis vertical lying along the Y axis

- due to the model's location and orientation, cylindrically mapping the decal on it should be straightforward

- now using the numeric inputs, move the model a known amount in X or Z to see what happens to the decal

- using numeric inputs, rotate the model around the X and Z axis to see what happens to the decal

- now move and rotate the decal the same increments and see if you can re-align the decal

Once you've taught yourself the proper technique, write a quick tutorial text document while it's fresh in your mind and store it in your AM_mini_tutes folder

Eric -

1) isolate your fuselage group (hide everything else)

2) create a new pose/relationship

3) rotate & translate your fuselage group in the pose window to 0,0,0 & make it vertical (aligned with y axis)

4) rt click on model - add new decal - , align decal to cover width, height - select cylindrical method - stamp

I will certainly do the basic excercise you describe Roger. We'll see what happens.

Nancy, I tried that too, but was unable to call a decal from the pose window. I tried right clicking in the window and I tried right clicking in the PWS on the relationship section. It did not give me the option of "new - decal".

Before you reply, let me try again and I'll get back to y'all

Eric

Nancy, I tried that too, but was unable to call a decal from the pose window. I tried right clicking in the window and I tried right clicking in the PWS on the relationship section. It did not give me the option of "new - decal".

Do NOT rt click in the pose window, nor in the pws in the relationship section. (keep pose window open tho), and:

Right click in the PWS on the Object Modelname - New - Decal - select image - the decal will show up in the POSE window - (confusing, but it works). you will do the stamping in the pose window

Nancy, you've just made my day, no wait, my week...no, come to think of it, I've asked about this before last year, early in the year. You've just made my year! If we ever meet at a Hash shindig, the first round's on me :D .

Your method worked great. I had a little bit of trouble getting the top of the decal to be on top of the model, but I eventually got it. It was just a matter of visualizing how everything fit together. This little excercise also showed me that you only need to line the model up on the x and z, not necessarily on the y. If you're on the x and z, you can just as easily move the decal up in the front view. Wow, I'm really stoked. Now I can finally decal my models the way it's supposed to be done.

Nancy, if you don't mind, I'm gonna write a wink on this. I've seen many posts that ask about this. Off course, you'll get the credit for clueing me in :)

To get a good understanding, though, I'm still gonna do the excercise Roger recommended. Roger, you are right also, the basics are the foundation and need to be mastered.

Thank you all very much. This is great!