Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Fire breathing dragon video opener thing

gra4mac

I run a lip-sync music video class at my kids elementary school. I wanted to have an opener, or whatever you call them, like Disney's castle or Dream Works boy in the clouds. What is that short studio ID bit called anyway? The school is called Charles Dickens and our team mascot is the Dicken's Dragon, so I made our video logo with a fire breathing dragon. The compression makes it look a bit rough. You can see it here, 1.4 meg, streams well over highspeed:

http://www3.telus.net/imagestreamstudio/te...n_logo_full.mov

I'd like to tweak it and change it a bit for each video, so any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I love it!

The only thing I would suggest and it really is up to you entirely...

I would... "break up" that continuous smooth motion of the dragon a tad. Instead of just a constant smooth motion... add some more realistic "jerkiness" to the motion... not a good explanation... but some extra keys with some ease in... break it up so not so "smooth".

The roar could be the same. Instead of a slow opening of the mouth... have it... open quickly... more impact. Add some anticipation... his head goes back just before the roar and snaps forward... some exaggerated motion.

These would be tweaks. Great job.

Vernon "!" Zehr

That was really cool....if you can say a fire breathing dragon is cool...

Agree with Vern here, maybe a side to side head movement after the initial circular motion of the dragons head, also get the fire the vary a little in it direction. but for what its suppose to be actually if fine the way it is, and you should be darn proud of it as well as the school.

Michael

Thanks for the comments and suggestions. I'll work on some variations of the head movement to try and make it more natural, for a dragon. I am generally happy with how it turned out, and the kids think it's cool. Luckinly young kids aren't jaded by alll the high quality animation put out by Pixar etc, so it is quite easy to impress them. This is one of the reasons I like working with kids, they llike the level of stuff I am capable of. I expect things will be different with teenagers.

That's great work!

I love that fire, it really looks like it's jetting out of his mouth, and the smoke out of the nostrills is a nice touch.

Vern has a great suggestion for tweaking. I watch my cats to learn about animal behavior, and when they focus of a moving object their heads don't follow it smoothly as it moves, instead, they move their heads in increments - every time the object passes n inch they'd move their heads then freeze, then move an inch as the object moves and then freeze, and so on.

You're on the right track :D