Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

12 -

Parlo

I thought that it was time I posted something more substantial so here's a still from my new short "12".

12-stillA.jpg

I can't say enough about Skycast and how much it has helped me so far with this project - the ambient light effect here is created entirely with that rig and it not only looks sweet, rendering it doesn't take an age either.

Thanks to those who've helped out on the screw heads - I ended up using what I'd already built as skycast is very forgiving when it comes to minor flaws in patches. Did I say that it was rather good?

There is still a bit of texturing work to do, but I've made good ground with the animation. I'm working to release the first episode of "12" by mid December - pay projects are starting to eat into my time again...

Anyhow, looking forward to all your critical views.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks good. Somewhat of a meloncholic image in my opinion. The lighting and the rim around the base of the head making a frown at the angle the head is tilted give me that impression. The mood makes me want to see the angel just a bit dinged up.

Also, is it holding a candle, and will it be lit?

Looking forward to seeing where you take it.

Yep, it is melancholic.. partly by design and partly by accident I suppose. The colour scheme has been hard to work out because, in that shot, he's somewhere with no 'real' source of light whatsoever. Black frames would be accurate but slightly less interesting in my opinion! I did a lot of tests and found that creating a muted palette gave the impression of light that was bounced off of the walls - skycast was a great help in this. He's just woken up and is disorientated thus the muted tone fits his mood well, and the lighting situation is about to change dramatically a few shots from this so the current state helps to accent the transformation. I might add a tiny bit of rim light just to help strengthen his silhouette.

It's not a candle... and he can't work out what it is in this shot either....

thanks for the comments.. I've been working on this in a vacuum for quite a while now, it's good to get some feedback.

Hi Sam

this is a beautiful image, I really like the simple design and the separation of the depth of field. Looking forward to saeeing it animated.

Paying projects are a curse aren't they :D ...I'm glad you're enjoying SkyCast, over the next couple of weeks I'll be adding some new rigs...then hopefully I'll get a chance to work on my own short if those pesky client types will just leave me alone for a while. :D

Thanks for all the postive replies...

Iham: Ssshh... I think you might be onto something ;)

John: Skycast is awesome. Though this isn't the right thread I think that it would be worth you putting a much higher quality version of the 'Toys' movie on your site. The version that's there has too many compression artifacts to let you really see how soft and smooth the render is. A larger file would be worth the download time if someone was really interested in seeing what Skycast can do.

As for the simplicity of design, it's one of those ironic things that it's taken me much longer than I thought to get his look right even though it's so simple.

CRToonMike: Details? That's where 'God' lives... in the details. Some say it's where the devil lives but (to quote Tom Waits) "there's no Devil, just God when he's drunk". And no I'm not getting all theological... by 'God' I simply mean 'Good Orderly Direction'. After all, how can there be a God when Fox is allowed to axe 'Family Guy'... hang on a sec, it's being recomissioned!... well, now I'm confused. :huh: