Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Sky Brothers logo

Hi

I just made the sky brothers logo into 3d. Attached is the 2d drawing our 2d guy drew and my 3d version. What do you think of the 3d one? See anywhere it can be improved?

I did the logo with illustrator and ai wizard.

I didnt show my partner yet. I hope he doesn't mind me posting it :o

Let me know what you think.

post-1974-1130459395_thumb.jpg

post-1974-1130459410_thumb.jpg

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like both. The 2D version has a bit more going on in it... that I think should carry over to the 3D version... "Liquid" in the large letters, S in Bros. is a different shape ... Entertainment is in a Star Trek like font...

But, I like yours, as it is... I just think, translated to 2D for letterhead, business card etc... your 3D version will be a bit "flat" in more than one way...

HTH, it's just an opinion

It came out nicely. I agree with the comment about blue on blue.. you can see that the 3D version is struggling a little bit... maybe a different color sky like more sunset colours?

Is this your logo, or a logo for a client. I've done this kind of work for corporate clients and they usually are pretty sensitive about changing any elements of their logo, like colors or background.

How was the transition from AI to AM? I tried the AI plugin, but have not gotten satifactory results, but that's mainly due to the fact we were working with a very complicated logo. Did the plugin do a good job, or did you have to tweek it a lot?

You can see the 3D logo stuff I did on my demo reel at www.burntlizard.com. Its a little old now, but its the same kind of idea. I think there's just a couple of 3D logos at the very begining, and they were done with Maya.

Yours looks really nice.

Yeah I guess that blue word was kinda washed out against the sky so I changed it. I altered the color of the sky some too. Maybe it looks more dramatic? what do you think?

Everything we do on the team is a collaboration so I can take some liberty. I changed the end of the S because I just didnt like it ending in a point. I tried working that background shape into the 3d but whatever I did with it it looked cluttered and unnecessary So I left it out for simplicity sake. This is our own logo not a client. I wouldnt do these changes to a client logo.

The ai wizard worked very nicely for this. I just thought about the way they would close the face in the wizard and laid out my points accordingly. It did a good job I think. I am happy with it anyway.

Well, hopefully I'll get a chance to talk to my partner tomorrow and see what he thinks.

Thanks for the input.

post-1974-1130472877_thumb.jpg

The updated version looks better.

For what its worth, I've made an airbrush design of the word AIR a long time ago, and textured the word in concrete against a blue sky background. Might make for a nice contrast to your sky?

Looks great! Maybe you should add the depth effects from the 2d drawing to the 3d version. Specifically, the "Sky" and "S" in brothers appear to have their 'flat' front surfaces bulging out and the 'Brother' have an embossed kinda rim around the letters. Either way, I think it looks pretty awesome.

Well here's the logo with the robot my partner made. How do you like it?

I may mess with the materials and embossing and stuff more, I don't know.

Edit: Here it is with more contrast I did in photoshop. I dont know how to get that in a:m. Anyone know?

Edit again: back to blue sky, removed shadow. I dont know.

post-1974-1130523619_thumb.jpg

post-1974-1130528208_thumb.jpg

post-1974-1130529350_thumb.jpg

Looks really cool.

The robot seems to blend in and his pose doesn't look natural. Maybe if you have him cross his arms and lean against the S will help create a contrast to the strong vertical lines of the letters.

I have no expertise in these matters, but my first impression is that his right foot is over-balancing the "T" and its left leg is too close to the "T." Trivial issues, but have you tried moving both legs out a little--stage left?

Curtis

I really like the first and second 3D incarnations. They are both crisp and simple, but I have a new idea... the second hs a very evening-like feel to it, wheras the first is more like a noonday ethereal (possibly at altitude) feel. Maybe an animated transition to evening would be appropriate for some media.

For someone who can't implement shit, I have a lot of ideas about things. :P

Thanks Folks

I am pretty happy with how the robot is now. Everytime I change him someone points out a way he can look different so I am just gonna stick with him. Thanks for the suggestion though.

I am hoping we can get the clouds animated maybe for the game splash screen or something and maybe in other instances too. Thanks. A daytime transition would be cool too.

Thanks a lot folks :)

the logo on your web page, that blue shape seems to be complicating it visually. The problems with the earlier versions, against the cloudy sky, mostly suffered from a lack of color contrast between foreground and background, i.e., all coolish colors. Then for the web page, you've lightened the lettering (and I really like the metallic texture you've done). I think the lighter tonality would work well against the purplish cloudy sky.

As for the robot, not sure it's working yet. I would say solve the color issues with the 3D logo, then figure out where the robot goes, body language, contrast. In general, contrast is the main thing. Get the lettering to come out in front of the background, whatever it is. warmer/lighter for the foreground, cooler/darker for the background.