sprockets Live Answer Time Home Page Featured Free Models spotlight Rigged Spider Tinkering Gnome's Workshop
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

5 point patch and decals -

Going back to basics and completed the giraffe. Glad to see that my mechanical modeling on the sub has paid some dividends. The giraffe was fast and easy compared to the Nautilus.

Only problem, though, is that the giraffe decal is distorting in every 5 point patch. What is the remedy? The tut includes the 5 point patches also, but gives no advice on the distortions.

5point_distort.jpg

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Weird. Does it end up like this in a final render also? Are u sure the aren't any duble patches in that area? since it looks like just the center of the patch is missing the decal

It doesn't show up in the final render. Definitely only on the 5 point patches. The model is clean, no double patches anywhere.

Pressing pg down doesn't make it go away, just makes it look blockier. Changing from OpenGL to DirectX and vise versa doesn't change anything either.

Deleted the decal and applied again with same results. When I change the geometry to eliminate the 5 point patches, it works, but I need to find a way around this because we all use 5 point patches.

And don't tell me I don need no stinkin 5 point patches ;)

G.jpg

Good guess, but I flipped the normals too. I don't like loose ends, that's why it's bothering me. Any of you have this problem?

I'm starting up AM now, gonna make a 5 point patch, apply a decal and see what gives....The patch accepted the decal fine. I then skewed it to look like the one in the giraffe model and that went fine too. I then patch selected the offending 5 pointer in the giraffe model, turned it to get a better angle on the decal and applied. This time the decal went on better but still had some distortion.

It must be a combination of spline issue and Video issue. Ok, so long as it doesn't show up in the final render.

Thanks for your patience and input.

5_point_test.jpg