sprockets TinkeringGnome's Atomic Rings PRJ 2001 Star Gate effect in A:M with PRJ Comparison of AO and Radiosity Renders Animated Commercial by Soulcage Tralfaz's Lost In Space Robot Rodger Reynold's Architectural WIP Live Answer Time Demo
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

lighting inside a box with a clear dome -

I am playing around with spotlights (klieg) and the source they come from. I made a box with a small translucent dome in the front of it. Inside the box I put a telephone - all for experimentation purposes only. In an action window I put a "bulb" light source in the dome and a klieg just in front of the dome. The klieg has volumetrics turned on to see a nice beam coming from the box. The illusion is to make the viewer believe the beam is eminating from the light source in the box through the dome to the outside. The dome has glow turned on.

When I do a Q render in the action window, everything looks pretty good - the telephone can be seen throught the translucent dome, the bulb on the inside of the box is seen illuminating the telephone and insides, and the klieg is sending a beam away from the box. I thought, not bad, let's do a render in the chor.

In the chor, I turned off all lights except the bulb and the klieg. When I render, the dome it is very dark and hardly shows any light coming from the inside. I then turned the transparency of the dome up to 100% - not diff. Then I cranked up the intensity of the inside light up to 800% with hardly a difference. Turning volumetrics on the bulb did not do the trick either. Zooming in on the dome gave the klieg beam some unwanted steps too, and the beam has lost the blue tint I gave it in the action window - see pic.

What do I need to do to make the inside of the box come alive with light as seen through the clear dome. This is for my submarine model.

BoxCompare.jpg

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wasn't there something about multipass and klieglights that didn't mix very well? *searching brain* Hm... there's something there, but I can't quite remember it. I belive the solution was: "remove the z-buffer when doing multi-pass" and I think it was the lights z-buffer. However, I'm not sure, as I've got a rather blurry memory of this topic. I belive it was Pixelmech, aka. Tom, who asked a similar question, regarding his warehouse.

EDIT: ah, yes, found the topic: http://www.hash.com/forums/index.php?showt...66&hl=Warehouse

Edited by Mr. Jaqe

I did the lighting on my sub by adding a Klieg and Bulb Lamp "in front" of the dome, the twist with my dome lamp is that I added a decal of a cars headlight to it. I didn't make it transparent at all or apply a glow to it, the bulb lamp will add all the illumination that light's gonna need and will also lighten up the exterior a bit. (something the klieg won't do by itself)

So, the Klieg is for the volumetric fx and the bulb is for making the dome "appear" as though it's lit when we all know it's a LIE!!! :rolleyes:

BTW, all of my klieg lamps are set to Raytraced.

post-7-1119929565.jpg