Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Critter/Creature for my next Mini

Here's my next character(s) for the next Mini Movie I'm going to do. He will have a mouth, and I hope to do some dialog this time. (We'll see if I can grasp David's mouth rigging method!) It started as a critter I kept sketching over and over at work on my notepad. He isn't as smooth as I'd like, and I always have that problem.

Anyway, I had thought of putting really short hair on him. I tried making hair but it never showed up. I love how some of Nancy's stuff has come out. If anyone knows of a good hair tut, let me know.

Tom

post-7-1117499198.jpg

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If you want them to bend easier, then the less splines the better, sometimes if you have to many splines, odd joints could appear (like it has a whole bunch of bones in the ears)

It looks good so far though!

looking forward to more

Ah good point Ben. Maybe this has been one of my problems. I'm still not clear on exactly how to set bones/cps - as far as what is best and different people say different things. Mike 3dartz tute's take a method of a lot of well placed splineage with good results, but there's more than one way to skin a cat. :)

Anyway, I had thought of putting really short hair on him. I tried making hair but it never showed up. I love how some of Nancy's stuff has come out.

Thanks Tom - (not sure which hair you're liking) - but for short sparsely populated hair that I used on Marlene for her fur - see attached jpg for hair properties that I used (nothing really special). It may be too sparse for you.

As for why hair might not have shown up - assuming you had both particles/draw hair turned on (option under rendering or shift 8) AND the realtime setting in hair material was set to shaded...then it is possible that the patches you had the hair material applied to had the normals facing inward - and you would have to "flip normals" ( Shift 1 shows normals, then rt click on patches - flip normals if not correct).

Properties that I mainly play with are (in the Hair System) - length, and in the Hair Emitter - Density (be careful - depending on your system, can bring you to a halt), and thickness. Upping the thickness can compensate for low density.

I think the help html has a good description of the other properties.

Once the hair shows up - you then could go into grooming mode for some styling.

That should get you started with some basic fur that will take on the color of the underlying geometry to which it is applied.

Would be happy to answer more questions as you get further into it.

mousefur.jpg

Tom,

Good start on a cute character. I'm guessing along with Nancy that you've got flipped normals or hair turned off if you've got missing hair.

I would vote for integrating the ears rather than intersecting. I think a simple character like that is going to look and animate way better if they are integrated. Plus you'll learn tons.

Be careful that you don't let David's face rigging tute send you off into massive amounts of bones and constraints. You may need a lot less with a simple character and it may be simpler to just move bones rather than setting up all the poses. I guess a lot will depend on how expressive his face needs to be, how often he will be reused, etc.

Since you mentioned it. Will there be another mini movie contest and when will the deadline be?

Keep up the good work,

Scott

Thanks Scott! I agree about adding too much complexity. I should have stated I want to implement a simple version of his rig. Of course, I have to learn it first!

Yes, there will be another contest, it will run every 2 months. So the next deadline will be the end of July.

Tom