Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

First walk (no cycle)

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Leetzors! somehow it seems a bit choppy (guess thats expected from walking wood), but otherwise its great ^^

Thank you, the reason for the choppyness is that I have to may keyframe, I need to let the computer do some of the work for me I guess.

Is there any part of it that really sticks out?

That's a pretty good walk. A loop would help to better critique it, even just a full cycle or two - it wouldn't take very long to render that in shaded mode. And you should have him fill more of the screen, you are wasting the resolution showing me the gray scenery.

It looks like his right foot on push off, the forefoot 'slaps' *under* the foot too much, and is not natural even for a stylized character. But the head movement and the up and down - good things. That's my .02

That's a pretty good walk. A loop would help to better critique it, even just a full cycle or two - it wouldn't take very long to render that in shaded mode. And you should have him fill more of the screen, you are wasting the resolution showing me the gray scenery.

It looks like his right foot on push off, the forefoot 'slaps' *under* the foot too much, and is not natural even for a stylized character. But the head movement and the up and down - good things. That's my .02

Sorry about the gray, I fixed it. As for the forefoot, I dont really get what you are saying, what do you mean by "slap"? Are you saying his for does too much of a crossover? Thanks for your help.

Overall I like it- nice attitude. Full of character.

Curious why you didn't go for a cycling action?

Oh, Oops, I didn't do a cycling because I thought I had to put it on a path afterwards, I just noticed that I was wrong. I could had just made it stationary, oh well. Thanks for the comments, I really need someone to tear this thing up for me, anything blatantly wrong with it?

I thought it was very good. It showed the weight of the character and there ws lots of panache in it.

Edit: I watch it frame by frame and the last two frames seems to have some kind of slide in it (when seen from the front), almost like he stepped on some ice. The heel contacted and then seemd to slide forward slightly. From the side, the leg locks straight just before contact and then contacts giving the impression of sliding.

Additionally, it looked like he's reaching a bit on the front leg, looks a little less natural/comfortable.

Good effort!

Scott

What I mean is the forefoot 'flaps' too far- it almost looks like it is moving *upward* as the leg goes back..granted its a bit hard to see though.

Edit: watched your new version - you also have a problem with the feet sinking below the floor as it were, so you can play around with that too. I also made a few comments on the image below. I'm not quite sure what you are after with the walk so these things may or may not apply, but just my observations. Stick with it.

post-7-1114213334.gif

Thank you all for your help! Wow, Tom thanks for the picture, what do you think this is, Animation Mentor? ;) Yah, the feet and the floor are problem I have been having. It seems like a need to lessen the stride length, that diagram was really helpful. Thank you for taking the time to comment everyone, I'll post my finished animation here

I had these same problems. Might I suggest simply working in the Chor and not doing so much in the action window at first. It gives you a better feel for things, at least it did for me.

You definitely need to learn to use your curves (don't know if you are). Look at your curves that correspond to the direction of the foot passing through the floor (or slipping, or whatever) Y for up and down for example, and adjust accordingly.

You'll often need to change curve interpolation to zero slope to get things to "hold" - that took me a bit to catch on. Just play around as much as possible.

People told me these same things, but it wasn't until I sat down, struggled, and figured it out on my own that I got going. You have to do the same, so good start.

Good start! I like the jaunty attitude. Watch the floor to foot relationship-looks like he's sinking a bit.

The one thing that stood out for me was the way the pelvis tilts upward before there is any weight on the leg--it should not tilt upward until after the foot contacts the floor and the leg straightens out to bear the weight of the body (this is more exaggerated in women, as they have a wider pelvis and hips). Remember walking is basically a series of controlled falls; you try to keep your balance as you pick up each foot and fall forward.

I hope that made sense.

Very nice walkcycle, good timing.

Would love to download it...but

When I try to save with the right mousebutton I only get

an index.php offer for download.

I think it worked before.

Anybody has some advice on that matter?

Jake

Good start! I like the jaunty attitude. Watch the floor to foot relationship-looks like he's sinking a bit.

The one thing that stood out for me was the way the pelvis tilts upward before there is any weight on the leg--it should not tilt upward until after the foot contacts the floor and the leg straightens out to bear the weight of the body (this is more exaggerated in women, as they have a wider pelvis and hips). Remember walking is basically a series of controlled falls; you try to keep your balance as you pick up each foot and fall forward.

I hope that made sense.

Sorry Patrick, I'm not following. Could you give me an aprrox frame number please?