Walking Stick

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Hash Fellow

The shape of the character doesn't immediately say "nightstick". It could be a lot of things.

Some one might easily identify this as something other than a nightstick.

A police hat on top might help. But a group of jr high students probably aren't familiar with nightsticks.

• Admin

I'd guess most walking sticks/night sticks might not have wood grain but that would certainly sell what it is made out of quickly to the viewer.

I'd guess they aren't tapered much either but I think that a little taper might be good.

Thanks for the feed back.

He's not actually tapered, he's bent over slightly (he's set up to be able to bend)

I agree that a hat would probably be a good way of making it clear what the character was.

I debated brown versus black versus wood grain. Some online research suggested that nightsticks are now black, but I think in the era of "Guys and Dolls", that they were more likely wood and therefore more brown. I think I may try the wood grain.

Thanks again. I'll try to post some action fottage of him and the dice as I proceed.

Scott

cop_with_nightstick.jpg

Here is the stick really fat... the hat is there to see... and the stars telling you he is part of an organization...

Animation is about exaggeration... like in your dreams... mixed with ingredients from your daily experiences...

The nightstick as both body and head

there will be some Freudian misunderstandings

Why not use the nightstick as the head... on a body? something like a coffee cup man? And it will be easier to tell the story... more believeable.... more reality... but still exaggeration... still dreams... nightmares...

:D

The clothes make the man.

Change clothes - and the thief becomes a cop and the cop a thief

No clothes - no man - someone in Eden - just an animal - not having a disguise to tell the positon - the identity from knowledge - from words - in a social structure - role play - with hard limits - animations playing with this - like the child telling - the king is naked - so a naked cop - just a nightstick - that is drastic humor - but there have to be clothes in the beginning or some tailors sewing some non-existing clothes to the cop - trying to do a thief without clothes - a gold ingot? two prison bars? a pair of sunglasses to hide behind?

Perhaps what to do is to model the opposites in the same time and you will understand better what you want -

having to opposites to play with they - the models - will influence each other - making more or less contrast - more or less unification.

I was a little worried about improper interpretations of the basic form. I intend to solve this with the addition of a hat.

My intent is to put together about 10 seconds of him chasing the dice prior to the opening credits. Just a little workout to hone my animation skills. Not meant to be a defining work. If I was going for more storytelling I would probably develop the character more. I might add eyes, a badge, possible do a character carrying a night stick or with a nightstick as a head. As it is I'm going to rely on the hat and the chasing to sell policeman.

Thanks!

Scott