Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

"Tom" of the 30's

This is a new character for me to learn and install the 3dArtz rig on. I took the rotos from an old 30's character "Tom" from "Tom and Jerry" (NOT the mouse and cat!)

Anyway, I've really been struggling with the head. I redid some things based on Josh's suggestions but I have a couple of issues (aside from general tweaking needs).

- Note the open 6-point patch. I'm at a loss how to finish this part of the face. It's the last hole in the face.

- He looks like he has no chin! It's tricky getting a 2d into a 3d mode sometimes and he seems to be not translating super well (the head at least). Certainly part of this is my (lack of) skill. The hair is only I start, I need to add lots of the cycliders to make the scraggly looking hair. I'll post my rotos in the second post.

Any help is appreciated!

Tom

post-7-1109438490.jpg

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Something's really glueing me about the six pointer... All the cps around it already are crossing four lines... You're only options (as I see it) are making a new single spline run directly into it or cutting up the area around the six point patch and starting over.

Try this.

Also, be careful with hooks in the neck area for the same reason you want to avoid them around the mouth. Keep them for now then do test animation to see how the bend/don't. I used to always run into 6 point patches (holes). The best method I have found to fix it is to just run a spline through the center and applying to 5 pointers one on either side. Try this first if it doesn't give desirable results let me know.

J

post-7-1109444748.jpg

Good idea Josh. I ended up doing that, plus trying to add some kind of chin because it was looking like an old man! While not 100% successful, I think its better. The face needs lots of tweaking. I basically stiched the whole thing so no wonder.

I got the hair on there, now all as one piece. After this post I'll attach a full body render with a test toon render.

I'm not so sure about the shoes. I've struggled with their shape over and over (I've remade them twice).

Comments and crit at this point sorely needed!

Tom

post-7-1109453862.jpg

If you're really trying to get an old school vibe with it either bail on the shadows or make them as harsh as possible and almost completely black. <thinking old mickey mouse on the boat>. During the 30s animation was an infant it wasn't about even approaching realism--just getting it to move was hard enough. Beyond that the model is really coming along can't wait to see it move.

J

Thanks Josh. I just did a quick toon render to see what it would look like - no idea how to set it up yet. But you are dead on about the shadows, good point. Definitely Steamboat Willie era. I'm not sure which way I want to animate him, but it would only make sense to do it toon wise.

I'm just now adding what I think were two missing splines on the bottom part of the mouth that I think will help. I think that is part of my problem with the pointy old man chin. I'll post an update later.

Updated face - I added that extra spline. The hook I had there was rendering as a dot in toon mode which was annoying.

I'm working through the 3Dartz tut now and adjusting his splineage to get ready for the joint set up, but I'm wiped out now! :lol:

post-7-1109461956.jpg

First time I see a Classic Black n White character done in A:M. Looking great!

Remember that in those old movies all the characters used to be in constant dancing, up and down, all the time? It gives me the chills hahaha