sprockets Live Answer Time Home Page Featured Free Models spotlight Rigged Spider Tinkering Gnome's Workshop
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Rotoscopes for new Crow character

While I'm waiting to get my Robot fixed I began working on these rotoscopes. They are inspired/copied from an old Golden Age cartoon "The Fox and the Crow." I've always loved crow characters.

I found when I was doing my robot that not having a rotoscope was too much freedom and not enough structure, and I got bogged down since I had no direction so I'm hoping this will help. I want a decent rotoscope that will help me plan out the splines, which was another issue I had. Someone said (I think it was the guy who did the Osprey) that you should always work from a rotoscope.

Anyway, here it is - any comments are appreciated that you think might improve it, or anything I might be missing. It's certainly a bit rough, and the top beak view was very difficult for me. I sketched it first then lined it in Illustrator.

Tom

post-7-1107284246.gif

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Hash Fellow

I think there's a passage in "The Illusion of Life" where someone asks how to draw Mickey Mouse's head from the top. The answer was "Don't draw his head from the top!" Toon characters have a way of defying 3D.

But in CG you have to consider it, i guess.

That's probably more rigorous than most rotoscopes. You'll find the few details that don't match when you start modeling.

One thing you might do is make a copy of your rotoscopes and start planning where you'll put your splines.

While I'm waiting to get my Robot fixed ...
And where do you take a 3D robot for repairs these days?

I think there's a passage in "The Illusion of Life" where someone asks how to draw Mickey Mouse's head from the top.  The answer was "Don't draw his head from the top!" Toon characters have a way of defying 3D.

That rings a bell, but like you say - we have to consider it when modeling the head. I tend to find (in my extremely limited experience) that the side view does most of the defining anyway, except for widths.

That's probably more rigorous than most rotoscopes.  You'll find the few details that don't match when you start modeling.

Understood. I just wanted something more defined than...nothing! I didn't exactly set out to do it in Illustrator, it just ended up that way because doing the front view to match the side view came along easier than drawing it for some reason. I think it's because my drawing skills are woefully out of date.

One thing you might do is make a copy of your rotoscopes and start planning where you'll put your splines.

Yes! I had figured I would do that, a little forethought and all that. Thanks for the insight.

While I'm waiting to get my Robot fixed ...
And where do you take a 3D robot for repairs these days?

Why, to Morgan at Anzovin, of course- where else? ;) (Long story)

could work, exept his eyebrows (top view)is too faar back on the model

I think you are correct. My guess is I will have to figure that out during the modeling process, I played with it a bit and just wasn't sure how it would go.