sprockets Shelton's new Char: Hans It's just donuts by ItsJustMe 3D Printing Free model: USS Midnight Rodger Reynolds' 1950s Street Car Madfox's Pink Floyd Video Tinkering Gnome's Elephant
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Glass Cup

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Looks good. I'd recommend setting your IOR to about 1.25 - 1.5 on the glass material to look more like glass. With no index of Refraction, it looks more like plastic.

Also, is there a bottom to the base?

I've got the first model I made lying about somewhere on my harddrive. It was the head of a Lego mini-fig.

We all have to start somewhere - well done. :)

Other than the fact that it looks like a frosted glass (or plastic glass) as covered int eh previous post, the only comment I have is that it doesn't appear to have any thickness at the lip.

As an extra task, why not add a hollow to the base then add a decorative join of the stem to the base and give the base some thickness at its edge.

If you are feeling really keen - attempt a complete table set of glasses - sherry, port, wine, champayne etc but keep them looking like they belong to the same set - add some drink tumblers as well. This would make a useful modle set!

Cheers

Very good start, glass is a bugger to get right let me tell ya. ;) Other than what has already been mentioned I think I'd scale up the inner section just about at the top, to my eye there seems to be too much of a gap there. Did you extrude the outer shell then bring it in to form the inner layer? If you did try this instead, save a copy of the model the way you have it now. then delete that inner layer. Next copy/paste the outer layer and rescale this copy so its just inside the other layer.I found this helped to give it the thickness I wanted and was easier to control.

EDIT: Thought I'd post this link for you some very good advice from some knowledgable people on how to set the refraction and materials http://www.hash.com/forums/index.php?showt...%20daniels&st=0

and hey the image didnt turn out half bad either :blink:

Did you extrude the outer shell then bring it in to form the inner layer? copy/paste the outer layer and rescale this copy so its just inside the other layer.

Thanks for all of the advice guys I'll work on that. Pengy yes that is what I did although after I do the rescale how do I connect the lip of the outside of the glass to the inside of it?

Quick question how do I quote multiple comments?

Ok thanks I fixed the lip and it looks much better now. Also when I edit the surface of the model to look like glass is it better to create a new material or just make it in the glass surface attributes?

It depends. If you only want to use the material on other models, like other styles of glasses, it would be better to make it as a material, this way you can plunk that material onto any model or group you want to use it on. If you don't plan on use it on anything else, setting it in the surafce attributes would be just fine.