Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

semi-realistic human model

Hi everyone, this is a model of my friend Jane that I’ve been working on for about a month. (on and off, most of the time smoothing) Any comments? I’m having trouble with the cheeks and some 5-point patches around the eyes. Any feedback that anyone has would be greatly appreciated.

Oh, and happy holidays to all! :-)

post-7-1103295747.jpg

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, I am just as curious as to why the model has to be gotten rid of.

Please explain!!!

I think that the profile matches the model better than the front view.

I think that in the front view, the lips don't match the exact shape....

comments? just keep working it! Looks pretty darn goood.

But still I must know what Fuchur was talking about.....

Mike Fitz

www.3dartz.com

I think Fuchur's commenting on the wisdom of modelling a female friend :D . It can deteriorate into a "do I look fat in this"situation :P

The model's pretty good, the crease on the 5 point patch is just a nudge problem, although personally I think hooks that connect in the centre seem to stand up better than ones on the quarter patch marks. The other problem is the crease on the cheek which if you carried the eye spline that's currently hooked, down the cheek and under the chin, would give you extra density to smooth the curve.

I'd move the 5 point patch above the cheek to avoid any problems with smiles etc (see http://www.hash.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=9976 embedded pictures not the links)

If you look carefully (side views) you will see you have modeled the plain of the cheek incorrectly. Janes cheek starts to the right and goes out to the left puffing around the mouth. You have modelled the opposite.

Another problem - common amoung many - is the fact that you haven't modeled the lob of the nostrel. Can you see the semi hemispherical shape in the real picture (side view)? You've modeled basically a straight line form the tip of the nose to the cheek.

Problems aside - this is a good beginning. To get a better picture of the model don't be afraid to look at it from all angles including from the top and bottom and of course 3/4 views.

Cheers

My attention went to the cheek bone to cheek to mouth i the profile view. The ilen goes from outward to inward while on the model it goes from inward to outward.

Since you have the model available, I'd strongly suggest you take at least a side 3/4 view and preferably a top 3/4 and bottom 3/4 view as well. But the side 3/4 view is absolutely essential to get the shape right.

Very nice...and a textbook execution of the process as well. As far as the likeness goes...we/you could dicker back and fro for days...I seen it happen...my advice would be to move on...give her hair...a body...etc...you can ALWAYS return to the face for further embellishments and it helps to have the other objects in place for perspective...or the 'big picture...

Have you discovered the benefits of 'porceline' yet?

wow, thanks john! it means a lot to me coming from someone like yourself, also thanks to everyone for their extra helpful comments. i have tried porcelain and it gives me weird artifacts with my 5-pointers and the topmost 4-pointer of the bottom lip. with porcelain it looks gret from the side but is looks like a whole bunch of unattached splines from the front as if it were made from polys (ugh!)

i think i might redo the entire cheek though. hmm, i´l ponder it over the holiday.

*smile* Nice girlfriend... try to keep her...

I meant exactly what john thought. Wasnt very serious though... *g*

That you get some strange results with porcelain could be the result of flipped normals... go to "option" and go to the "modelling"-tab, turn the "normals on" and look, if they all point in one direction (to the outside)... if that isnt so, you can use the patch-select-tool (it is at the right under the addCP-button) and then press the "f"-button or right-click on the selection and chose "flip normals". That should turn them.

After that, you have to delet the porcelain-material and then reimport it or restart A:M.... I dont know why, but that is the way it has to be done...

Hope that helps

*Fuchur*