sprockets Shelton's new Char: Hans It's just donuts by ItsJustMe 3D Printing Free model: USS Midnight Rodger Reynolds' 1950s Street Car Madfox's Pink Floyd Video Tinkering Gnome's Elephant
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

New toon look

Hey---

I have a new movie on my site http://mcampbell.250free.com showing how I was able to achieve a 'new look' for a toon character using A:M and Photoshop and After Effects. click on the 'toon shader' button.

Basicly, the character was already designed for a childrens book and they (the potential client) wanted the SAME look but in motion 3D... I prepped this test in 6 hours...it may sell the gig... I roughly modelled the character in A:M, then did selective renders...tail...skin...shirt...eyes...etc by turning OFF the visibility of everything I DID NOT want rendered and I used an alpha channel...brought the :04 sequences individually into Photoshop where I made an 'action' that filled the individual layers with a gradient and added a bevelled edge...applied that action to the entire seq(s)...and rebuilt the image in AfterEffects by 'layering it up'...keeping 'some' of the 3D imagery...

Everyone I showed it to freaked and could NOT figure out how I did it...showed-up a couple Maya guys too which always makes my day... 6 hours? HA!!! A:M to the rescue! It's kinda south parkish...

Also on the site is the new 'Stones' movie... both are limited to 2 mb by 250free.com

Let me know your reaction. Or not, have a looky.

http://mcampbell.250free.com

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yup, that's pretty extraordinary, all right. People sometimes forget the power of post.

What would happen if you rendered toon lines and used them as a mask in Photoshop? You might be able to get the bevels to follow the edges of the object more accurately this way...

Gotta say that's a pretty cool look.

For a full on anim, would you get enough antialiasing if you gave everything a distinct colour, rendered it without antialiasing at three times the resolution and then used that one render to key all your mattes off the colours?

thanks for sharing

Luckbat- yup, lines would be cool but the original artists design did'nt have them so I left them out...tis a future consideration tho- THANKS!

John Artbox- Thats sorta what I did! I would use distinct reds and greens with full ambiance which Photoshop could 'extract' using the 'select color range' feature...good idea rendering at higher res tho! Will do!

It's a great feeling to make a complicated photoshop action and set it to motion on a folder full of frames and watch it 'do it's stuff'...

Thanks guys!

Very creative, Matt!

I have also just managed to see your 'Stones' animation for the first time and I just wanted to say that I think it is brilliant. You have certainly got a handle on A:M and those creative juices are flowing.

I think you could use some other web space to show your work on though. I had tried many times to view your work and all I got was a message telling me that I could only connect directly. Huh?

Great work, Matt :)