Caterpillar Treads

ddustin

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That would probably be me. I'd be interested in seeing the project but may not be adept enough to reverse engineer it (yet). I'm still learning how to animate but will take any help I can get. The movement looks like what I am going for. Thanks!

I kind of followed the tank tread tutorial.

I found it didn't all work for me, not sure why. The part I didn't use was the aim at the null constraint. it didn't need it.

You create a model with all the parts, including the tank path(s) (as a spline), then you create an action using the tread model and constrain each cleat to the path.

After that you set the ease for each part. Ease is actually how far along the path it is.

You set an ease value for frame one, move your slider to the last frame and enter the final value. When you run the action it'll work.

In the chor window you can set the number of times it repeats.

I'd be happy to help you out with it. Others have take a lot of time to hep me.

The project and the f14 are in the posted zip file. Have at it, and ask as many questions as you please. Shoot, if I can figure it out it can't be too hard :D

David

Tank_treads.zip

Thats what I'm finding. Reading how to do it looks complicated but after actually doing it it seems much simpler "so to speak". I've had AM a couple years now and have had spells of interest as well as intimidation but just recently "made it move" I am addicted as well as determined. Thanks for posting the project! I'll see what I can break(on a copy) as I study what you did.

Hey Dave,

Are there general rules as to how you place bones in the treads and so forth?

I am trying my own test (in an action) on a tread and as I change the ease for each tread, the bones for each tread are turning and rolling all over the place.

I am going to try this in a Chor just to see if there is a difference.

Eugene

Ok,

Here is my example... a few things to note.

I get treads which are flipping on the path and I can't understand why? Anyone have a clue? Please see link below.

Also, I could repeat the animation to give a continuous flow, but if the individual pieces of the conveyor were different from one another, you would have to animate the full rotation which would be a pain...not even sure you can use Ease values over 100?

I still think there's got to be a better way...need to think about his one.

Later,

Eugene

http://ca.geocities.com/eugeneliscio/Treads.mov

Gene,

The flipping over is controlled by the Store Roll control.

It's in the constrain to path area under the bone. An image is attached.

What do you mean by the individual pcs. of the conveyor being different?

Hope this helps.

David

post-7-1100186227.jpg