sprockets Live Answer Time Home Page Featured Free Models spotlight Rigged Spider Tinkering Gnome's Workshop
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Tape Spool

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Paul thats a nice effect! How did you do it? Which way did you approach it?

I just spent 3 hours just getting nowhere with that :(

Thats close to what I want , the final effect is to have the tape wind around the bar 3 or 4 times in a in a spiral pattern as it's held in a vice, then wire is wound around after it.

By way of explanation, just incase you're not sure what's happening here:

1) Make three components for the tape. Two red cylindrical objects and one rectangular strip for the adjoining piece.

2) Select the circumference control points on each spool of tape and group them.

3) In bones mode create bones for the circumference groups and assign the cps to them. Create two bones for the tape strip, one to control the position of each end.

4) Create a pose and at 0% scale the circumference of one spool down, move the bone for that end of the tape strip so that it touches, or slightly intersects, the circumference of the scaled spool. Align the other end in the same manner and make sure that all the bones have benn moved slightly so that their position registers in the current frame of the pose.

5) Move the pose slider to 100%, scale the spool back up, adjust position of strip, scale other spool down and adjust position of that end of the strip.

6) Scroll back and forth through the pose with the pose slider, just to make sure that everything is working, and save

7) Create a new action or choreography for rendering this. Open pose sliders and set to 0% on frame 0 and 100% on frame 02:00.

8) Set up your camera and lights for the shot and render.

Phew! How's that then?

I would have incorporated the animated decal aswell but I want to get on with my own stuff.

Please post your results.

Good luck.

Paul Forwood :)