Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Sad ball

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hash Fellow

I know you're looking for "animation" comments, but I'm lazy, and I look at things in terms of "what's the least I can do to make this better?" ;)

One really easy mod would be to pick a different camera angle: 3/4 or side view, rather than head on. This would show off the change in pose better. Yes, we can tell he's slouching, but a side view would make it more obvious. Obvious is good in most cases. It's almost always better to have your motion happening across the plane of the screen rather than into it or out of it.

This goes to the Frank & Ollie concept of "Staging": "presenting an idea so it is instantly and unmistakeably clear." A side view would give us a better "silhouette".

And then, once the pose is presented clearly it gets easier to troubleshoot everything else like timing or arcs, or things we aren't catching right now because we can't quite see them.

that's my amateur .01 :lol:

Good start! Don't stop!

Okay thanks to Dagoos (yippeee!) for hosting the file I've uploaded it to here ...

Sad Mr Ball (side)

I hope I haven't caused too much anticipation cuz its really not that good. Just looking for direction and feedback. Thanks ya'll.

Doug

btw - I also uploaded the original front view in case anyone wished to view that one.

• Hash Fellow

aha! Now we can see. :lol:

-The slight anticipation before the first sag is good. How about doing it also for the second one? :)

-just for your own experimentation you might dabble with different timings on the sags. Fast, slow. Slow, fast. Fast, faster... None is "right" but each could give a different meaning. What's the most extreme timing you can give it and still have it work?

-Generally when a character leans forward, he has to shift his hips back to keep his center of gravity balanced over his feet. By the end here he looks like he's out past his toes which would make him fall forward. :P

-I'm not sure about the meaning of the side to side motion

"Sad" is a complex thing, I'm sure the real animators could give you better pointers, but these are the things I notice when I look at this one.

Also, check your compression. 6MB is huge for a clip this short. :o

-I'm not sure about the meaning of the side to side motion
Well it was sposed to be him shaking his head. That movement actually read better front on but the side view I agree is a tad confusing. Didn't work like I had expected it.

Thanks for the suggestions Robcat. I'm on it.

Doug

Doug, you need to add some squash and stretch to mr.ball here! Without shoulders or other appendiges, one can really read the body language.

The motion should sort of be like inhaling air and when letting the air out, ones shoulders and back would slump a little forward....

I think it would add a lot.

Mike Fitz

www.3dartz.com